230V controller on a 110V line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
So, a while back I bought 2 of these 230V Love controllers before they were discontinued at a great price: Controllers-Panel Mount And Love On/Off Temperature Controllers - Cole-Parmer Catalog

I had no use for them at the time, but knew I would come up with something. Well I am now looking to to control some heating elements in my brew setup, but only use 110V lines. Is there any reason these would not work as is, or is it more involved than what I am thinking?

The 230V you are referring to is the supply voltage for the controller, not the load rating.
You will have to supply 230AC to the control to power it up....It doesn't care if the load is 110VAC or 5VDC, as long as you don't exceed the current rating on the contacts.

Hey Ryan, you have too many PMs and I am unable to reply to yours right now.
Here is what I wanted to say:

OK, in answer to your most basic question, "Is is it possible to use these controllers off the 110V line I have at my disposal in the way I want to?" The answer would be "no". You will have to supply them 230VAC to power them up.
Also, a 2kW element at 110VAC draws 18.2A. Your controller's contacts are rated at 16A, so you would also have to have an SSR to handle the power to the heater.
I am about to leave for the evening, but I will try to redraw the diagram in the morning if you want and see if I can provide a better explanation.

Latest posts

Back