I have a confession to make....kind of....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here so what I have to say is probably not of that much interest to you all but I just gotta know if anyone else has the same preferences to beer as myself. Just so you know, I have consumed hundreds of different beers over the years and some of my favorites have always been Imperial Stouts, Barley Wines and IPAs......untill now.....

Several weeks ago I stopped eating anything sweet. And because of this my preferences for beer have completely changed. I now actually dislike any beer that is anything more than subtly sweet. My tastebuds have changed dramatically. They are much more sensative, which is a good thing, but when I try a sweet beer of any kind it is actually too sweet for me and I end up having to stop drinking it. I never imagined this happening. I always thought I would love a good Barley Wine the most. But now, drinking a homebrewed Kolsch is like sex for my tastebuds :cross:

Is there anyone here who doesnt drink or dislikes sweet beers such as Barley Wine, Imperial Stout, strong IPA, Belgian Double and Tripel, etc.? Now I'm not saying those beers are always sweet. They just are most of the time.

Now dont get me wrong, I am not hating the stronger, sweeter beers. They are some of the most delicious complex beers in existence. This post is not bashing certain beer styles. I just want to know if there is anyone else out there who stays away from the sweeter beers and prefers the lighter more dry, complex beers. Cuz at this point, I'm thinking I'm out of my gourd for abandoning the heavyweights of the beer world.

~S.T. Out

NOTE: I should say I love a good dry stout, hence my name :) I haven't abandoned all heavy beers, just sweet beers.

im with you, i hate sweet beers! I dont like anything too sweet, its all dark chocolate and black coffee for me. I dont find belgian triples sweet though. Dubbels yeah, but triples are more balanced, slightly alcoholic and maybe a tad sour. But barley wines are BLEH!, coying, gross! And Imperial stouts i cant drink more then a sip or too. Brown ales are my least fav beers (save for big american Arrogant bastard types thier good). They have a bland sweetness i dont like.
I dont like sweet wines either for that matter.

Understand, that's probably part of why I don't like fruit beers. At the last wine tasting I went to, I just about gagged on a sweet desert wine, even though I love blackberries.

david_42 said:
Understand, that's probably part of why I don't like fruit beers. At the last wine tasting I went to, I just about gagged on a sweet desert wine, even though I love blackberries.

I think that I would enjoy a fruit beer if the fruit flavor were about one tenth of what it normally is.

Why is it that the flavor has to be over the top? It's the same with coffee.

If I am curious enough to try a fruit beer, I always get another beer of the same style and cut it until the fruit flavor is subtle enough to be almost subliminal.

Latest posts

Back