Small-Batch IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm making a series of five 1-gallon IPA's. The grain bill will be 1.2 light DME and 0.2 lbs carapils. It's a bit light on OG and ABV for an IPA, but since I'm looking to profile the hops I'm not too worried about it. I've got an ounce each of Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight, Mosaic and Citra.

What do you all think about a hop schedule? I'm tempted to use the same schedule for each, but the AA% varies pretty greatly between varietals and I'm concerned about the amount of bittering--a quantity that might make one too sweet may make another super bitter.

I would use the same bitterness addition for everything. Get a 1oz pack of something in the 12-15% range (Nugget, Magnum, Millenium, CTZ) and divide into 5 even piles. That will get you 40-50 IBUs, which is in the right range for your gravity. More importantly, what's the plan on the 1 ounce?

Not sure yet: if I use the same bittering hops for all five (which makes sense, considering I want to profile the flavor/aroma of the hops) the hop schedule is pretty wide-open. Maybe a quarter-ounce at 20, 10, flameout and dry-hop? Or .2oz at 15, 10, 5, flameout and dry hop?

Back