Gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
Pretty stupid question im sure of it just dont want to make any mistakes, i think my beer is done fermenting but want to take a couple gravity readings to make sure, please tell me the correct way to do so. Thanks again, just my first batch ever brewed.

remove some of your brew and check it with a hydrometer. make sure to sanitize what ever you use to remove it and dont put tested beer back in fermenter. do this a few time over a couple of days if it stays the same its done

Pretty easy dude, whether u use a turkey baster or a wine thief, simply sanitize it first, pull a sample large enough to float the hydrometer and take the reading...drink the sample, don't return it to the fermenter.

Step 1: Sanitize. If you have a spray bottle with starsan, then use that to spray the rim of the bucket/carboy. If you don't have starsan, I've read posts where people use vodka in their spray bottle.
Step 2: open your fermenter.
Step 3: Use a sanitized wine thief/ turkey baster(spray with your solution) to withdraw a sample of your yummy beer. Usually you need about 2 oz. to fill the tube the hydrometer came in(or a graduated cylinder if you have one). Close your fermenter.
Step 4: Add your hydrometer to the tube. There's usually foam on top, so set it somewhere to warm up and let the foam dissipate.
Step 5: After 10 minutes or so, give the hydrometer a spin so any bubbles on it clear off. Read the hydrometer at the meniscus( the bottom of the air/liquid interface).I've found a good light source behind the tube and reading glasses help!
Step 6: Have a sip of your beer. It won't taste exactly like it will eventually, but it gives you an idea. Don't pour it back into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back