how much sugar to one gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
My juice came out to about .050 how much sugar would i add to one gallon to bring it to .075?

I downloaded a free program called winecalc. It says to bring 1.050 to 1.075 in a one gallon batch, you should add 9 ounces of sugar. Do you have a scale? I don't know how many cups that is exactly, BUT 1 measuring cup of sugar is about 7 ounces. So, a bit more than a cup by my figuring.

Yup have a good gram scale. I couldn't find a chart or calculation to save my life earlier! thanks

AND I have liftoff! Only been about 4 hours since pitching the yeast but there is deffinatly activity in the airlock with some foam starting on the surface. Go yeasties, Go!

Hopefully i did everything at least quasi right. its my first test batch, I'll add the sugars tomorow.

I've noticed that one pound of sugar will raise the potential alcohol of one gallon of must by 5 percent, so you'll want half a pound of sugar (pretty close to the nine ounces above). This has been pretty consistent in all the batches I've done.

My juice came out to about .050 how much sugar would i add to one gallon to bring it to .075?

Sugar has 45 points of gravity per pound. So, one pound of sugar raises the gravity in one gallon by 45 points. A half pound raises the gravity in one gallon by 22.5 points. etc, etc. By the same token, a pound of sugar will raise the gravity in five gallons by 9 points (45 points/5 gallons=9)

Maybe I sound like a high school math teacher, but it's handy to know the approximate sugar content of the ingredients you use often. Sugar 45 points/lb. Malt extract 36 points/lb. DME 45 points/lb. Honey 36 points/lb. Most fruits are about 5-10% sugar, so they add about 3 or 4 points/lb. Some of these numbers vary a little, but they will get you in the ballpark. Just multiply by the number of pounds of the ingredient and divide by the number of gallons in your batch.

no its appriciated. when i was searching for the numbers i couldn't find them. but that program is pretty cool.

Back