Buying Hop Pellets by the lb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weberju

Reaction score
I've noticed that you can get a much better deal if you buy your hop pellets by the pound. Does anyone know how well they store. I only have one refridgerator, where I keep all my food, beer, etc. If stored in a refridgerator will they pick up flavors and odors from food and other items in my refridgerator? Are zip-loc bags enough of a barrier to prvent this from occuring?

The search function here works pretty well...I'd look in the "Ingredients" forum where this question has been discussed quite a bit lately. :)

Deepfreeze in vacuum-sealed oxygen barrier bags would be best of course. Basicly try to get to those conditions.

If all else fails, then you can calculate your hops new AAUs by using fancy pants software, like BeerSmith... just make sure you date your hops when you get them.

Freeze them and they are good for years. I like to use Columbus for bittering and buy that by the pound. I store them in the freezer of the keggerator.

My guess is that the Big Suppliers use cold storage. Hops only ripen once a year, you could be getting stuff that's eleven months old already. So what's a couple more months?

Like freezing anything, I guess that the freezing breaks down cellular barriers, allowing better hops utilization. I'd freeze it. But I don't buy bulk, it just don't make sense to me- at this stage of my brewing carreer...

Back