Edworts Apfelwein to this....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadMax

Reaction score
I was planning on making a three gallon batch of Edworts Apfelwein but ended up making this cyser instead at the last minute.
2 gallons Motts Apple Juice
1/2 gallon real sour cherry juice
9 pounds clover honey
2 packs champange yeast. Red star.

Starting gravity was a whopping 1.70.

It is fermenting great at the moment.

What is everyones thought on this?

Should I have just made a cherry melomel or will the apple juice add a little character to it.

Your thoughts.

You must have made a mistake in the OG, honey itself doesn't have an SG of 1.7, it has around a 1.41 SG. I'd have troubles even beleiving it had a 1.17 with the ingredients you added. You should have been closer to a 1.133 OG. Maybe check the reading again...

I am thinking you were reading the 17% potential alcohol marking (1.118 SG), which would be a little low for what you added but make a lot more sense.

Or you had some crazy sweet juices there, somewhere in the range of 1.094 SG. Did you maybe add 1/2 a gallon of Real Sour Cherry Juice Consentrate?

I would have added the Cherry in the secondary so it comes through a bit better in the end product...but thats just my newb opinion. It could end up being rocket fuel if your not careful with that yeast and the starting gravity...i think. I only have a few ciders under my belt.
:mug:

Yes I fid add 1/2 gallon of sour cherry juice. Will double check gravity. Thanks for your response.

Looked at label when started and starting gravity was 1.140.

It is currently at 1.090 after 10 days.

It is fernenting around 66 degrees.

Looked at label when started and starting gravity was 1.140.

It is currently at 1.090 after 10 days.

It is fernenting around 66 degrees.

Starting gravity of 1.140 makes a Whole lot more sense.

Sound like a good recipe. Let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back