Altbier anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I have been trying different beers and this past week I had a micro brewery built
AltBier. I liked it alot. It was sweet, I would like to brew a sweet version. I hear there are bitter styles. The sample I had in no way was bitter. It was smooth sweet almost buttery. very nice stuff.

I would like to brew this myself but don't have a recipe.

Does anyone have one that you would be willing to share? I have done 3 All grain brews so far and many extract. have been brewing 2 years in January.

My mentor is comming to my place in two weeks to do a brew session together so I can get a refresher and see again who a 30 year pro does it.

gregg

Here's a pretty traditional recipe.

To get a sweeter profile, mash your grains at the higher end...more like 158-160.

That will keep the fermentability on the lower end and the beer will finish sweeter.

In the recipe, you could dial down the hops a bit, though they are already at the low end for that style. You could also lower the pils and up the munich, which will also finish maltier and sweeter.

Latest posts

Back