Siebel Institute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
I begin my first online course with the World Brewing Academy through The Siebel Institute in Chicago this Sunday. It's been a long time since I've been in "school". I'm a little intimidated and excited at the same time. Has anybody here gone through this or any other brewing program? I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. I hope to attend the full 12 week diploma course next spring. Wish me luck!

I recently talked to a professional brewer who did the 3 month course. This was after he had been an assistant brewer for 3 years. Even after that amount of experience he said he learned a lot and it was worth the money spent.

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing your progress, too. I've looked into their online courses, even though they are located nearby, b/c of time limitations. I've been thinking about enrolling in one within the next couple of years.

I went through the two week course last year. Is it worth the money? I am not sure, if I had unlimited time I would have opted for the Brewers Guild program instead. The beer education is excellent, but a majority of the information is available in books. The teachers and fellow students are a great source for beer inspiration and two weeks drinking in Chicago with fellow beer people is awesome (sorry, it doesn't help the on-line class). I'm glad I attended, but I probably should have put it off for another year. Waited until my plans were more firmly grounded in reality.

Reading List which will cover most of what you can learn without hands on experience:
Technology Brewing and Malting, Kunze
Designing Great Beers, Daniels
Starting Your Own Brewery, Brewer's Publications
How to Brew, Palmer

be a sponge......

there will be loads of info crammed into your skull over those 12 weeks. Lots of great theory, bio-chemistry, & engineering

just take it one step at a time, because it is very easy to get overwhelmed

I am waiting to retire and for the ABG (American Brewer's Guild) to accept VA funding. I hope it is accepted in 4 years because that is what I'm shooting for.

Good luck Brewtopia!

Wow this is a post from the past! I took the "Executive Overview of the Brewing Process" online course. To tell you the truth, it was pretty basic. I did like the online chat feature with the instructor and other class members. But you'll learn just as much on this board. That being said, I hear positive things about the diploma course and still plan on attending at some point. Didn't work out for me this spring but perhaps next year.

Someday, I plan on a diploma course through Siebel, UC Davis, or Heriot Watt (based in Edinburgh with a distance learning program). I seriously looked into the Heriot Watt program earlier this year (depending on your course of study, it's actually a real postgraduate master's degree), but I found out that the tuition assistance I had available at the time would only cover domestic schools.

Latest posts

Back