Fermentation Stalled - Looking for suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
The short version, since I need to get to bed, is that I have a stout that's been in the primary for almost 4 weeks and I wanted to get it off the yeast cake to let it age. Nothing high gravity, OG was 1.055ish. After transfering it tonight I took a gravity reading and found that it had stalled at some point, gravity read 1.020. It had a very active fermentation at almost too-warm temps, 72F or so, so I was quite surprised to see that it had stalled.

Anyway, what's done is done so I'm trying to think of a way to salvage it. Couple things came to mind but I'm not sure if they'd work or if they'd only make matters worse.

1. Pitching more yeast. I'd have to aerate to get that yeast to do much of anything and would the added oxygen just make things worse?

2. Brew the same recipe again, maybe I just had a couple bad packets of Nottingham, and mix the two before pitching. Again, not sure what the outcome would be and I don't know that I feel like risking having to throw away 20G of beer.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, I'd really like to keep from throwing away 10G of beer.

1.020 for a stout isn't really outrageously high. Some stouts have a very heavy body.

What was your recipe? What FG were you expecting? It might be done and not stalled.

like walker says, 1.020 is ok for some stouts. i'm going to keg an oatmeal stout this weekend that is 1.018; beersmith said 1.020 for it. don't alter it; stouts are heavy by nature

Beersmith predicted a FG of 1.013. I've done several stouts over the years, recipes similar to what I did with this one, and none of them have ever finished this heavy. I guess I'll let it age out for a time and then keg it and see what comes out.

Beersmith just estimates the FG at 70% attenuation if I'm not mistaken. Don't take that FG as gospel.

Back