OG Questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurnick

Reaction score
If 1 lb of dme has 45 points and I used 7 lb’s in a 5 gallon recipe, shouldn’t my OG be around 1.063, not including any steeping grains? Somehow I got a reading of 1.047 on my first batch of beer. I thought that maybe I didn’t mix in the last gallon of water well enough before I took a sample, but when I checked my FG it was around 1.013 witch jives with the 1.047.

I’m not concerned about the beer, I am just curious if there are any other factors that could lower the points of an extract during the boil.

You just didn't stir the gallon of water in well enough. Depending on the brand of DME, you should have had an OG around 1.060-1.063, with no way around it. Maybe slightly different if your volume wasn't exactly 5.0 gallons. And an FG of 1.013 is barely on the high side for attenuation when using extract, certainly well within reason.

Other than incorrect volumes, there isn't too much to be concerned about. Your OG was probably poorly mixed resulting in the lower than expected reading. Hope you enjoy your first brew and try not to get caught up in the abv of what you expected. As you become more proficient, your anticipated and actual numbers will begin to match up and your brewing will branch out.

Latest posts

Back