Yeast in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric89

Reaction score
I'm currently waiting for my beer to carbonate and I guess continue its still fermenting , but I see that each bottle still has a good amount of yeast/sediment that has settled . Any thing I can do in my next batch to eliminate or lower the amount in each bottle?

That kinda comes along with bottle conditioning. when you pour remember to try and leave the last 1/3-1/2 inch so you don't pour the yeast out.

You can reduce it by cold-crashing your beer before bottling to try and get as much suspended yeast out of the beer as possible but to be honest if you bottle condition you'll always have that layer -- and thus always have to have a careful pour.

yeah it'll always be there if you bottle condition. To me it's a sign of a quality beer. Given the option of having a beer bottle conditioned or force carbed i'll do bottle conditioned every time.

If it's really an issue for you, you can get kegging equipment and force carb and bottle from the keg. Then there's no sediment

So if you want to be hardcore about it, filter, add back on about a fifth of a vial (or smackpack) of yeast at bottling, and you should get a sediment layer similar to sierra nevada (which is just a light dusting of yeast). Otherwise, wait longer before bottling, or cool prior to bottling, in either case it may take some experimenting to determine how long is right to clear most of the yeast but leave enough for carbonation in a reasonable time frame.

The only real way to NOT have yeast sediment in your bottle is to keg your beer, force carbonate, then fill your bottles from there with a beer gun, like the Blichmanns, or some other counterpressure method that maintains the CO2 in the beer.

Remember that it is the yeast that produce your carbonation when you naturally carb in a bottle, and they also reproduce while they are munching on your priming sugar to produce the CO2 for carbing, so you will always have yeast present in natural carbonation.

Latest posts

Back