Belgian vs American 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a belgian this coming week and I was wondering how important the belgian 2-row is for this. Is there a major difference between american (say Briess) and Belgian 2-row? Maybe this is a dumb question I just don't want to pay extra money without a reason behind it. The only reason I ask is that I'm going to be buying a sack of American 2-row and would not mind substituting this for my Belgian brew. Is it possible that Ican add a small amount of specialty to substitute for something missing without the Belgian grain?

I understand the difference between American 2-row and Marris Otter (aka English 2-row). I thought about buying a sack of MO instead of American but who knows. Thanks!

2-row is 2-row - it'll probably have slightly different enzymes or the like, but it should end up tasting similar enough that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

There is a slight difference in diastatic power, belgian might result in a slightly more malty profile, but I think it would be hard to detect.

Are you making a Dubbel? I think that these type of beers are simple enough that it really doesn't matter. The yeast accounts for a lot of the flavor in Dubbels, Tripels, Abbeys, etc.

Back