Mini fridge wont get cold enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin4444

Reaction score
I have a kegarator im actually using to lager right now do to space problems. I set my johnson temp control on 35 but it wont get any colder than 39-40. Is this too high to lager? Should I add some ice?

This is probably too obvious, but did you turn the internal temp control inside the fridge all the way to its coldest setting? That can make a difference. Also, 40 isn't ideal but I don't think it's terrible for lagering.

Do you have any experience in wiering?
The internal thermostat will limit how cold the fridge gets(in most cases) and is not usually werry hard to remove

Yea its turned to the coldest setting. Ill take a look at themo and see what I can do. Thanks for help

lagering & cold conditioning are too different things. To lager you slowly lower the temp so the yeast stay active. Lagering is usually done -10 degrees below ferm temp. since most lagers are fermented around 50, I don't really see the issue here.

larrynoz has it right. Before I made my first lager I read Kai's lager page about five times.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers

I fermented at 50 so after my D-rest I slowly lowered the temp to 40 and lagered for six weeks. Lower the temp slowly so you don't shock the yeast and they all drop out, it's not cold crashing. The beer turned out crystal clear and there are no off flavors so the yeast did a nice job cleaning up.

Check internal thermostat and 2nd, do you have a fan inside ?

I have one fridge that doesn't have a fan and it only gets so cold. The fermentation
chamber has a fan and it can get down to 25 (eisbock...)

The fan moves the air around so the coils pick up more heat from the air.

Back