Am I going to get sick drinking this moldy/brett wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
So one of my bottles of ginger wine from a couple months ago developed some kind of whitish film on the top. I thought it was mold, but after seeing a picture of a Brett pelicle, I think it might be that. So I racked some off onto some ice. It tastes Ok, it is really really sour like lemonade (the other bottles were not sour like this) but it doesn't taste bad. This isn't going to make me violently ill somehow is it ...

If it's brett you should be fine... Nothing wrong with sour as long as you can stomach it. Only one way to find out though for sure, I've consumed a sour batch or two over the years with no ill effects other than a mean hangover if that comforts at all.

:mug:

Thanks, so far so good! It sort of seems like the alcohol was lacking in the super sour bottle. I had some from a regular bottle after, and it had the alcohol alright.

Hm the tastes in homebrew are amazing. Many things nothing like I've ever tasted before. I tried a slightly older batch and it had a nutty cheesy taste to it, very interesting, different, that's for sure, but good nonetheless.

Back