Some beer humor ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I think this is comical from a beer point of view so hang with me for a minute, you might or might not find it amusing.

I was outside with my gf washing her car one afternoon at our apartment.

My neighbors were sitting in their garage with some friends drinking Corona's and listening to some mexican music.

I've never considered myself a beer snob but I don't really like Miller, Bush, Bud, Corona and the like. My girlfriend and I are partial to microbrew and good quality (yet mass produced) imports.

They don't speak English and we don't speak Spanish but never the less they offered in their own way each a Corona. The one guy managed to mutter the words "Corona.. made in mexico, the best beer"...

I looked at my GF and tried not to roll my eye's and be polite and drink the beer with my neighbors.

Granted when I was younger and in the Navy, we ran over the border to drink and party and the main staple was Corona but my tastes have since then advanced and my stomache not so forgiving when it comes to bad beer.

Heck, I don't even drink that much beer to tell you the truth.

Once our brew is ready to drink, I'll run a few bottles next door and show them what good beer is...

:rockin:

Once our brew is ready to drink, I'll run a few bottles next door and show them what good beer is...

:rockin:

Hospitality is a big part of a lot of immigrant cultures, especially Hispanic ones. Had you turned it down it would have been a personal affront to their kindness, so you and your GF did good.:mug:

I will warn you...if you take the beer over they will probably adopt you and her for life...so be prepared for some awesome food!

Years ago, I worked with an Indian Exchange student. We worked the morning shift and he always would offer me spicy Indian food and like 9:30 in the morning. I love Indian food, but all my life, I have never been able to stomach any food before noon...heck even the smell of food sometimes makes be gag...So it was really really hard to turn it down, knowing that hospitiality is a big part of Indian culture as well. One morning I finally accepted his offer and swallowed some (even though it was difficult it was delicious.)

It took me awhile to explain about my food in the morning problem...But finally he understood.

They also bought us some corn smothered in butter and spicy pepper from a cart that always goes around our complex. I've never had anything from those carts but considering 90% of our complex is Mexican, one can expect to try it eventually.

It wasn't bad but wow was the corn spicy!!!!

Amazing how drinking beer can cross cultural barriers and make friends.

They also bought us some corn smothered in butter and spicy pepper from a cart that always goes around our complex. I've never had anything from those carts but considering 90% of our complex is Mexican, one can expect to try it eventually.

It wasn't bad but wow was the corn spicy!!!!

Amazing how drinking beer can cross cultural barriers and make friends.

Some of the most amazing (and cheapest) ethnic food is street food; if there's a taco or tamale cart floating around you gotta flag it down and try some.

In California there are actual websites that review the various taco carts, and send out notices when certain ones are sighted. Like this site;

http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/07/taco-cart-at-vermont-venice-blvd.html

A great corn mix is chile powder and lime juice.

I lived above a Bangladesh family for about 6 months, their food is similar to Indian....They adopted me when I lived there. I'd get home from school at 10pm and there'd be a knock on the door, and they'd drop off a plate of something...I learned that even green salad can set your mouth aflame.

Since he was speaking broken English, it's possible that he was trying to say that's the best beer you can get in Mexico, not that it's the best beer period. It's definitely time to brew up a batch of what American beer is all about!!

I think he was trying to say it was the worlds best beer...

I'll give them a couple beers when it's done and see what they say.

Mexican beer might not be great, but there's no way Corona is the best! I live in Mexico and all i can tell you is that Corona is not considered here as a good beer; i've always wondered why it is so famous in the US. Like I said, Mexican beer might not be great but I'd take and Indio, XX (Lager or Ambar), Bohemia or Negra Modelo or even a Leon or a Montejo over BMC any time!

Latest posts

Back