Hmmm, this is different.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWI

Reaction score
I went to check the gravity on my second batch after a week and a half and there was a lot of krausen floating on the top of the beer. Does this mean that it's still fermenting? My first batch finished in under a week but ithis one has a higher OG than than the first (1.059 vs 1.050) so that means it will take a little longer, right? Thanks.

Mike

Was it the same type of yeast... even with the same yeast however every fermentation is differant. I would at least wait till the krausen drops out before taking a reading. Let the yeasties do there thing

Fermenting beer is like fingerprints almost, every one is a little bit different due to a number of factors (temp, mash type, hops, water, phase of the moon)...

Likely nothing to worry about, you can just punch a hole for your sampler/hydro reading whenever and check how it's getting on. It'll sink down when it really starts to clear.

The higher the gravity it takes about the same time to ferment about 2 weeks. But the higher the gravity you may have to age the brew to smooth it out. High gravity brew will be a little harsh due to alcohol content.

I have used bottle harvested hoegaarden yeast that had had a krausen on it for upwards of 3 weeks, where even the gravity reading showed that the beer was finished.

If your hydro readings do show that your beer is finished, carefully racking the beer to your bottling bucket, and letting the krausen float down to the trub is usually all you need to do, it won't transfer across, instead it usually will just get stuck in the trub. Heck half the time just lifting the bucket up to your table to rack will knock the krausen loose.

You may have a little renewed activity if your temp might have fluctuated down then back up. Be sure you don't have too much temp variance from day to night to day, etc. The good news is that your yeast is doing it's job! Let it be and they will drop out when done. :ban:

Back