Too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1072

Reaction score
I brewed a porter this weekend end, pitched a 1Liter starter of 1056. I normally use this yeast and keep my temps around 62 deg. Since it is summer, I put fermenter in water bath and trying to keep the temps down. I am keeping the temps around 68 deg. (was out of town and slacked on the ice). It is fermenting good but not going crazy. Nice steady activity.
Question- any worries about fusel alcohol at that temp?

I wouldn't think you have to worry at 68. That's a good temperature for most ale yeasts. According to the Wyeast website, the range for 1056 is 60-72. If you're used to fermenting this strain at around 62, the flavors may be a little different from what you expect, but I wouldn't worry too much about the harsh fusels.

68 is an excellent temperature for 1056. Many brewers choose this as the target temperature for that strain and in my experiences, it's a very clean fermenter as long as you don't get up into the 70's. I think you'll be just fine.

I usually start at 62 and slowly ramp up to 68 over the course of 5 days or so, just to give you an idea of my preference with this strain. Have no fear, it'll be great.

68 is an excellent temperature for 1056. Many brewers choose this as the target temperature for that strain and in my experiences, it's a very clean fermenter as long as you don't get up into the 70's. I think you'll be just fine.

I'm one of those guys. 1056 is great at 67-68*, very clean with just a touch of fruity esters. I too pitch and begin fermenting with 1056 @ the low end (63-64*), allowing it to rise to 68* @ high krausen. Good stuff, that 1056.

Latest posts

Back