Chocolate Stout Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to transfer a chocolate stout to secondary, after I just kegged my IPA to free up said secondary... Life is good when you have a pipeline... :mug:

Anyway, I have 2 oz of pure chocolate extract to throw in at either secondary or keg time. Wanted to field some input before I transfer to secondary in the next 30 minutes or so.

Any input would be appreciated. Also, the recipe calls for 1.5 oz of extract, but I have 2 oz, how much stronger would you think that would make the chocolate flavor?

Thanks,

Mark

Hard to say. Is the chocolate extract the only source of chocolate flavor in your beer? Did you use any chocolate malt?

At any rate, I would start with the 1.5 oz. Then taste it. If it isn't sweet enough for you, keeping in mind that, in my mind, uncarbonated beer tends to taste slightly sweeter than carbonated beer, then add the next .5 oz.

Back