Brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinstmatt

Reaction score
What size brew pot should I buy and from were? basically i think i want a turkey fryer that is stainless steel but can't find one online to order.

Be mindful of your heating capabilities.

I would really love to own a 6g brewpot, however my tiny little electric stove has enough trouble bringing 3g to a boil, so I am not able to do full boils just yet. Just something to think about.

It also depends on what you want to do. Do you just want to do partial boils or will you want to do full boils? Are you going to stick to 5 gallon batches or step it up to 10 or more?

If you are even thinking about full boils or all grain, then I'd suggest getting a slightly larger pot. I started off with a 5 gallon pot doing extract partial boils but recently switched to all grain and converted some kegs which I use for my brew kettle now. I do still use my 5 gallon pot for heating sparge water so it is possible and cost effective to start smaller.

Just starting out myself and to do partial boil on my electric stove I just bought a 20 qt Food Network SS 18/8 gauge at Kolhs.com on sale for 44.99 - 30% off and free shipping so $31.50 delivered. You can google kohls coupons to find both codes.

I use a Bass Pro Shops Turkey fryer kit/pot combo for ~$30. I use the 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for heating sparge water and boil in a Guinness keggle.

If you are going to do full boils on 5 gallon batches, I would get something larger than 6 gallons. I would shoot for 8 or 9 at a minimum and 10 if you can get it. In the long run you might want your volume into the fermenter to be 5.5 gallons instead of 5, and that means you would want a volume of 6.7 gallons or so into the boiler with enough head space to not worry about boilovers...

I picked up a 20 qt. SS pot with lid at Old Time Pottery for $7.99 and tax. Unfortunately they didn't have anything bigger or I would have picked that up. For the whopping 8 bucks, I'll go back and pick up another one later, never hurts to have extra.

Steve

any 6 gallon (24 quart) pot will do. does not have to be stainless, aluminum is just fine.

6 gallon brew pot

6 gallon stock pot

Economy brew pot

these where very easy to find. goggle "6 gallon pot".

6 gallon is too small for AG. Buy an 8 or 10 gallon (preferably the 10g). It won't be much more expensive, and you'll be future proofed.\

I got an 8.5g Aluminum stock pot with steamer from Walmart for $23.

Back