saison trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a saison two weeks ago. OG reading was 1.064. Pitched a starter of White Labs WP565. Airlock activity started quickly, but was gone in a few days. The fermenter was in a room at 80 degrees. After a week and a half, I checked the gravity after 10 days, and it was only at 1.016. I know a saison should be dryer than this, so I pitched a pack of fermentis S0-4 to hopefully finish it off.
I checked the gravity again a few days later, and the gravity hasn't moved. Should I just go ahead a bottle, or wait another week and see if anything happens? I've heard the WP565 is a very picky yeast.

thanks

BJCP list FG range for Saisons as 1.010-1.016. Probably a little high for an og of 1.065, but it'll probably taste good. My saison stalled at about 1.016 as well and it was one of my best beers.

I listened to a pod cast by Jamil and Palmer on attenuation. Palmer suggested doing a small starter, even for dried yeast, for restarting stalled fermentaion.

brewed a saison about three weeks ago og1.072 and it stalled at 1.020. Same yeast [wl565] and pitched a pack of us05. Have not checked it but if it has not changed in a week I have to assume it is not dropping anymore. Just hate to be that far off. Maybe my mash temp was to high? I don't know.

At least you are close.

I have heard several people talk about that yeast stalling out early. I also agree to make a small starter and re-pitch at high krausen.

Back