Very strong wine...can it be reeled in any?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardcd

Reaction score
Ok. I have five gallons of grape wine. It clarified and ready to bottle. It is very strong though. Can I add sugar? If so, how?

What do you mean by strong? Hot alcohol? Dry? Smooth but warming? Sugar will bring it back from dryness but won't change alcohol warmth. You have to sulfite it before adding sugar or you can use a non fermentable wine conditioner.

It is only my second batch ever. Quite good, but if I had to describe it...warming would be the word.

akardcd said:
It is only my second batch ever. Quite good, but if I had to describe it...warming would be the word.

Did you measure your gravity? What is the ABV? Was it all juice or have added sugar?

Time will usually allow the alcohol 'taste' to mellow as the other flavors blossom. If it's really too extreme for your tastes and/or don't want to age, try blending with another wine.

Latest posts

Back