Cloudy in secondary after 3 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerleg

Reaction score
I have an IPA in a secondary and it doesn’t look like it going to clarify and I realize I forgot to add the Irish Moss at the end of my boil. Is there any way to add it now, or some other way to fix my mistake?

What temp are you doing your secondary at and how long did you primary ferment for? If you are just doing secondary to age and condition the beer I would hold the secondary at a lower temp than the primary fermentation. This will help clear the beer. Though after only three days in secondary I would not expect the beer to have cleared. You would probably need a couple of weeks in secondary at least to get a nice clear beer.

You could just drink it as is. If you close your eyes and imagine it's clear then the haze won't effect the flavor.

But even before doing that, I'd let it sit in the secondary at least a week maybe more to give it time to clear.

Gelatin and or filtering can be used to clear up fermented beer.

This is my 2nd batch of this brew and the 1st time I made it it started settling out (on top) within hours. Temp wise primary was at about 67 and it is currently at 66 in secondary.

Just give it time, a couple weeks in secondary and it will clear some, a few months in the bottle and it will be crystal clear (if you can wait that long to drink it :p )

The purpose of a secondary is to clear the beer. If it's still cloudy after three days, it just means it's not done clearing yet.

If I secondary (which I don't much anymore opting instead for month long primary only) I find that it usually takes about 2 weeks minimum for a beer in secondary to clear.

So you have some time left.

But everything's fine, exept you are impatient. ;)

OK. I’m still new at this but am learning a lot. Specifically at this stage previous batches, all a variety of medium body extract partial grain beers, have begun to clear. (14 to date) I did check the gravity and it’s where it belongs.

What I FORGOT to do was add the Irish Moss during the boil like I have done in all previous batches.

Can I rack it into another bottle with a gelatin or Irish Moss solution added in to help clarify?

I won’t do anything for a few days to see if it improves on its own though.

I kept the second brew that I made in secondary for over a month. It drove me nuts waiting for it, but it was worth it. As long as you don't have the beer on a dry hop, leave it in secondary for basically as long as you can stand it. A month is great.

OK. I’m still new at this but am learning a lot. Specifically at this stage previous batches, all a variety of medium body extract partial grain beers, have begun to clear. (14 to date) I did check the gravity and it’s where it belongs.

What I FORGOT to do was add the Irish Moss during the boil like I have done in all previous batches.

Can I rack it into another bottle with a gelatin or Irish Moss solution added in to help clarify?

I won’t do anything for a few days to see if it improves on its own though.

I forget half the time to add moss, and to be honest, I haven't detected any loss of clarity. If you leave you beer in primary, or secondary for any decent length of time, it will have the same effect. I wouldn't risk oxydation or infection to move your beer, simply because you forgot to add something that plenty of folks forget anyway.

Thanks for all the good impute...patients, patients, patients!
I am going to dry hop, but not till the last few days it will be in the secondary.

Back