Fermentation temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awshucks5

Reaction score
I have just started fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I am controlling the temp at 72 deg. for primary. Does temp. control matter after fermentation is complete?

with that sort of beer you may want to ramp the temp up towards the end of fermentation, to force the final bit of yeast activity to help get the dry finish characteristic of that beer (assuming this is like a tripel style of beer? the weird names bjcp gives to these throw me a bit!). in addition these beers are sometimes lagered for a period (a few weeks to a few months) to help them clear up, but i know many people skip this step with great results. so short answer- no. once it's done the initial stages of fermentation the yeast aren't going to make any more overly funky compounds like esters or fusel alcohols. long answer- yes.

awshucks5 said:
I have just started fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I am controlling the temp at 72 deg. for primary. Does temp. control matter after fermentation is complete?

Temp control always matters but depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want a little extra Belgian "funk" let it drift up toward 80 after it starts to slow down. This will also help maximize attenuation. Once it's totally done fermenting, cooling it off will help it clear to that golden the style calls for, but if you don't mind it a little cloudy you could certainly skip it. Personally, I'd drop it to 55 over a few days and let it sit for two weeks. Man, you're making me want to brew one up!!!

Latest posts

Back