Bubbles... :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingcities

Reaction score
Ok... So I've read many a thread where it's stated that lack of bubbles is not an indication of no fermentation going on. This is kind of the opposite...

Do bubbles indicate there is activity, or are bubbles a pretty much meaningless sign either way?

The reason I ask is I'm fermenting a Saison... And like many others 2 weeks out it's sitting at 1.022. I upped the temp into the 80s, and the bubbles started getting faster out of my blowoff tube.

I plan to take another sample in about a week, so I'll find out then obviously what's happening- so I'm just kind of curious.

Could an increase in temp just end up releasing trapped CO2 more quickly, or are bubbles a definite sign of activity?

Drat... For some reason I thought I was in the beginners forum when I posted this... Sorry about the mislocated post. :(

Bubbles indicate that your beer is venting CO2. It could be due to frementation or as you suggested CO2 being vented as the temp and/or pressure of beer changes.

45 out of 50 times, the presence of bubbles indicates activity and will result in a good beer.

However, you have to remember that after fermentation there is a lot of CO2 trapped in solution and if the fermenter is moved, some of that will come out and you will see bubbles. Additionally, the lack of bubbles can't be seen as lack of activity since there could be a small leak in the fermenter seal which is allowing the escaping CO2 to bypass the airlock. Gravity samples are the only true way to know.

The increase in temperature is probably just making the air in the headspace expand and want to get out through the airlock.

Back