Topping off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
Ok, for my first 3 batches I prepare my extract in 3 gal of boiling water and boiled 3 more gallons to top off with. It is a PITA not only to have to cool the wort, but also to have to cool/wait for the top off water.
I drink my tap water every day so I'm not worried about it having any "bugs", is it ok to just top off with water straight from the tap?

Thought's please.

Yup.

I've used bottled gallons, no problems. If you're fine with the tap, use it. Plus, fewer worries about aeration, since the boiled top-off water is O2-free.

rdwj said:
Make it even LESS of a PITA and use ice from your tap to cool the wort

My tap doesn't have ice, I don't know about anyone else.
A immersion chiller works great for me.

I wouldn't recommend using ice from your freezer because of all the other things in there also.

What I do is use PUR filtered tap water in 1 gal water jugs and place them in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. It gets the temps into the 60-70 range within minutes. I've been doing this for years without any problems.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I wouldn't recommend using ice from your freezer because of all the other things in there also.

I agree also, I would not use ice from a machine if I were you. However, If you have an ice tray, and clean it our thouroughly before filling it with water, then you should be able to use that ice no problem :) .

Beerhead said:
I agree also, I would not use ice from a machine if I were you. However, If you have an ice tray, and clean it our thouroughly before filling it with water, then you should be able to use that ice no problem :) .
That would still have impurities on the top of each cube...:eek:

Hermish said:
My tap doesn't have ice, I don't know about anyone else.
A immersion chiller works great for me.

Obviously, I meant ice made from tap water. An immersion chiller is rather pointless when you're topping off.

Back