I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) I actually meant the opposite. For whatever reason I have remembered every mistep, trespass, humiliation, wound and barb since I have been aware of the world. I still remember my parents looking to whomever might be in the room and saying "aww he's tired!" whenever I fussed about something real or imagined. Sometimes I will call my father out of the blue just to remind him that this is one of the reasons Ill be putting him in the home when he gets old. Take that pop.

Seriously though, I retain a lot of anger, hate and vitriole.... its not good for me.

I was like that from my late teens to my mid 20s. I retained all of my anger and remembered all slights against, real or perceived. I was quite the A$$HOLE! Capitalized on purpose because I was bad. I was in the Navy and I had just gotten busted for like the 10th time for stupid activity on my part when my Senior Chief pulled me aside and had a quiet discussion with me.
He told me how all that anger was just driving me to the dirt and if I reflected on it properly, i would see the only one I was truly hurting was myself. He simple showed me my Service Record and how I had started out so well but was steadily declining. He also told me how my actions were hurting his daughter (I was dating her at the time) and ruining that relationship. I spent about a week; staying sober, concentrating on doing better and treating others better. I went back and talked with him again and told him how hard it was going to be letting go of the anger and the grudges but that I thought I understood what he said.
It took me the better part of a year to get rid of the worst of it and it has taken the the better part of my adult life to learn the patience to deal with and respect others.

The biggest, most cliche`d lesson I learned first was to:
Respect and forgive myself! Let go of those things which dragged me down and live each day as if it might be my last.
I hold to that every morning when I wake up;
First, I'm thankful I woke up.
Second, I roll over and kiss my wife and tell her how much I love her and that I look forward to seeing her when I get home from work.
Third, I consciously plan to meet each person with a smile and a pleasant greeting.
I don't always succeed with the results of #3 there but for the vast majority of people I run into and interact with, it sure makes my day go smoother.

Creamy, I'm not saying this will work for you but this is what has worked for me since talking with my Senior Chief in 1983.
I respect you mate!
IAlso, who else is going to work on an Offal Mead for us!

Second, I roll over and kiss my wife and tell her how much I love her and that I look forward to seeing her when I get home from work.

Easy to be thankful when you have something to roll over to. I got a stinky breathed dog licking me in the face, trying to lick my eyes open. Dear lord, another day! :smack:

I freaked out today about yellow printer ink. Why must I have to have yellow if I just want to print black and white!! I had black and white checked, checked twice, still printer saying 'you must replace a cartridge before continuing' and then something like {YELLOW} must be replaced. Why yellow? I only want black and white!!!

Got so mad, but calmed down now. I will complain to the printer company unless I figure out it how to print black and white without having yellow. At the same time my best friend is running out to the store to get me yellow. I called her for help. She couldn't figure out how to do it either, refused to print unless it had yellow!!!:drunk:

Why do I need yellow to print black and white!!! :mad:

Your printer like most probably blends colors to make black, You wouldn't have to buy as many print cartridges if they just used black to print black. Where do you think HP gets their money from?

Easy to be thankful when you have something to roll over to. I got a stinky breathed dog licking me in the face, trying to lick my eyes open. Dear lord, another day! :smack:

Here's to you Bobbi, I give you some of my strength and patience!

I freaked out today about yellow printer ink. Why must I have to have yellow if I just want to print black and white!! I had black and white checked, checked twice, still printer saying 'you must replace a cartridge before continuing' and then something like {YELLOW} must be replaced. Why yellow? I only want black and white!!!

Got so mad, but calmed down now. I will complain to the printer company unless I figure out it how to print black and white without having yellow. At the same time my best friend is running out to the store to get me yellow. I called her for help. She couldn't figure out how to do it either, refused to print unless it had yellow!!!:drunk:

Why do I need yellow to print black and white!!! :mad:

This always make me feel better when printers are giving me a hard time:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was like that from my late teens to my mid 20s. I retained all of my anger and remembered all slights against, real or perceived. I was quite the A$$HOLE! Capitalized on purpose because I was bad. I was in the Navy and I had just gotten busted for like the 10th time for stupid activity on my part when my Senior Chief pulled me aside and had a quiet discussion with me.
He told me how all that anger was just driving me to the dirt and if I reflected on it properly, i would see the only one I was truly hurting was myself. He simple showed me my Service Record and how I had started out so well but was steadily declining. He also told me how my actions were hurting his daughter (I was dating her at the time) and ruining that relationship. I spent about a week; staying sober, concentrating on doing better and treating others better. I went back and talked with him again and told him how hard it was going to be letting go of the anger and the grudges but that I thought I understood what he said.
It took me the better part of a year to get rid of the worst of it and it has taken the the better part of my adult life to learn the patience to deal with and respect others.

Respect and forgive myself! Let go of those things which dragged me down and live each day as if it might be my last.
Third, I consciously plan to meet each person with a smile and a pleasant greeting.
I don't always succeed with the results of #3 there but for the vast majority of people I run into and interact with, it sure makes my day go smoother.

Creamy, I'm not saying this will work for you but this is what has worked for me since talking with my Senior Chief in 1983.
I respect you mate!

I took up trap shooting, watching those clay birds blow up was very therapeutic. I just told myself that every clay bird was some problem I had had during the week, and let them all go. It also gave me a opportunity to clear my mind and get in the zone for a half hour at the range, and then again while reloading sometime during the week. Luckily shooting clays kind of came natural for me, so I was decent at it.

Cheaper than a therapist too

Hi Airplanedoc,

I took up shooting even briefly competed and I agree, it is very therapeutic. I also added reloading, novice gunsmithing, flytying and fishing, luremaking, leatherworking, homebrewing and general tinkering. All of which in the long run for me, it might have been cheaper to get a therapist but no - these are much, much more fun!

I try to forgive and forget and not hold grudges. The problem is some people make it real difficult.

Creamy, I can relate with how you feel. But sometimes you just have to let it go. Life is too short to live with the anger.

I think what we need is some music to sooth the savage beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
This always make me feel better when printers are giving me a hard time:

Really, that is one of my favorite movies of all time. Just love it. Here's to having no yellow, I have plenty of yellow!!
:ban::ban:

Edited: Extra bananas removed, was making me dizzy. Plus, don't want us to run out again.

Your printer like most probably blends colors to make black, You wouldn't have to buy as many print cartridges if they just used black to print black. Where do you think HP gets their money from?

I am making picket signs now, will be outside the HP main office ready for some changes! The first sign says, "No More Mandatory Yellow!!" It gets to the point but not very witty. Another one says "Who Needs Yellow?". Again, not very witty. :tank:

I too am "here".
Buried in amplifier work.
My American Wheat is still happily fermenting after the Saturday brew day.

Now it's time to bottle batch #1.
Should I brew #3 and bottle the same day?
Or should I split the two apart?

I could bottle Friday night and brew Saturday.
But I might "save" sanitizer by combining activities.

Why is printer ink so expensive anyway?

Same reason Gillette fusion blades are.

I was at the store the other day and saw a HP printer with ink for $39, on the other side of the display each ink cartridge was $36. I stood there thinking I could just buy the printer and throw it away each time I run out of ink, and come out money ahead.

I respect you mate!

That there is inspirational! I have lost my way a bit with three sons in the last seven years. It's been overwhelming and took nearly all of my personal time away. A favorite outlet and total stress reliever used to be my guitar. It was total ME time. I have been thinking it was only for me and the time spent would be wasted to my family. I think I'm gonna find some time for guitar again.

Good on you mate! My wife likes to craft and play the guitar. She has been slowed down a bit this year with some knee surgeries and then a knee replacement but she was just talking about picking up her guitar again. I hope she does and I encourage her! When she's on her guitar, she shuts the door, turns up the amp and just lives in the music.

I think a little bit of personal time is very important for everybody.

Usually for me, it is early in the morning on the weekend, I get up betweeen 4:30 and 5am everyday anyway, everybody else in the house is still asleep. So I go out on the deck, cup of fresh coffee, a cigar or my pipe and watch the morning start for the rest of the neighborhood. This is true at -25 to 80degrees, although at -25 I tend to keep it a short smoke and dress warmer.

I too am "here".
Buried in amplifier work.
My American Wheat is still happily fermenting after the Saturday brew day.

Now it's time to bottle batch #1.
Should I brew #3 and bottle the same day?
Or should I split the two apart?

I could bottle Friday night and brew Saturday.
But I might "save" sanitizer by combining activities.

You can reuse starsan many times and do not need to make big batches of it. I make a gallon up at a time and it will last several batches both brewing and bottling.

Thanks for the info on the tubes and power supplies. It seems as if I am not the only one here who likes the sound from them:D

Good on you mate! My wife likes to craft and play the guitar. She has been slowed down a bit this year with some knee surgeries and then a knee replacement but she was just talking about picking up her guitar again. I hope she does and I encourage her! When she's on her guitar, she shuts the door, turns up the amp and just lives in the music.

Usually for me, it is early in the morning on the weekend, I get up betweeen 4:30 and 5am everyday anyway, everybody else in the house is still asleep. So I go out on the deck, cup of fresh coffee, a cigar or my pipe and watch the morning start for the rest of the neighborhood. This is true at -25 to 80degrees, although at -25 I tend to keep it a short smoke and dress warmer.

That is my time of the day as well. I love to see the sun rise and greet the day. My wife on the other hand is a night owl. So it works out good for both of us

CreamyGoodness said:
:) I actually meant the opposite. For whatever reason I have remembered every mistep, trespass, humiliation, wound and barb since I have been aware of the world. I still remember my parents looking to whomever might be in the room and saying "aww he's tired!" whenever I fussed about something real or imagined. Sometimes I will call my father out of the blue just to remind him that this is one of the reasons Ill be putting him in the home when he gets old. Take that pop.

Seriously though, I retain a lot of anger, hate and vitriole.... its not good for me.

Ahh, gotcha. That's because as an only child you never learned basic conflict resolution skills. Just one more good reason you and the wife are having twins. ;)

It's been cold here too. The flame froze on my lighter the other day when I was trying to light a smoke outside.

I think guitar worked for me because I REALLY need to concentrate to play at all. I am a bit mentally challenged so while playing, that is ALL my brain is doing. Tell your wife to dust off that amp. Cheers!

I was at the store the other day and saw a HP printer with ink for $39, on the other side of the display each ink cartridge was $36. I stood there thinking I could just buy the printer and throw it away each time I run out of ink, and come out money ahead.

That $39 printer probably had ink, but nor a full cartridge. Printer companies build printers to sell the ink. That's where the money is. I gave up on HP and Epson a long time ago. Went with Canon printers, the ink is a little more reasonably priced. And I can print black without all the color cartridges, just choose greyscale in the preferences. What I usually use anyway, unless I want color.

My HP has 2 cartridges in it one black and one color one. When I bought it the cartridges were pretty cheap but have almost tripled in cost since I bought it.

If I have a bunch of stuff to print I take it into town and have it done.

I work for the State of Alaska in IT and we get a discount for some items from some vendors. I use it to my advantage for software and ink. That's gonna suck when I retire and move next year and have to start paying full price.
I might have to go the way Airplanedoc and just buy a new printer when the ink runs out!

Back when I was in college I needed a printer, but nowadays, not at all. I don't own one. I also don't have a dvd player or a cell phone. I spent two years working on a remote AF installation and it taught me that there are a lot of modern conveniences that I just don't need. It's amazing how much money my friends spend on stuff that I don't even think twice about. They call me stupid (especially for not having a cell), but for some reason I'm the one everyone always comes to when they need to borrow money.

Back when I was in college I needed a printer, but nowadays, not at all. I don't own one. I also don't have a dvd player or a cell phone. I spent two years working on a remote AF installation and it taught me that there are a lot of modern conveniences that I just don't need. It's amazing how much money my friends spend on stuff that I don't even think twice about. They call me stupid (especially for not having a cell), but for some reason I'm the one everyone always comes to when they need to borrow money.

I do not have a cell phone either but I do enjoy my music. And the tv is another thing I could do with out I think other than I use it for background noise to go to sleep

lschiavo said:
My dad still has a rotary dial home phone mounted to the wall! He refused to pay the additional fee for tone dialing. When is the last time you dialed a number on a rotary phone? It sucks.

When I was 5 goofing around at the Gparents house. I thought it was a blast.

I have a home phone and have a calling card (number memorized). So if I'm on the road and need to use a phone I can use the card. It's getting harder and harder to find pay phones though :(

I'll have to subcome to the cell phone one of these days, but in the meantime, I can live without it.

Cell phone service here it is hit or miss unless you're in Anchorage, Fairbanks , Juneau or one of the 4 other "large" cities we have.
I have one of those throw away cell phones and it works far better than any contract phone I have tried to use.

Cell phone service here it is hit or miss unless you're in Anchorage, Fairbanks , Juneau or one of the 4 other "large" cities we have.
I have one of those throw away cell phones and it works far better than any contract phone I have tried to use.

Similar here.
Been using Tracphone for years.
It seems to work better in remote areas than other full service cell phones.
I joke "It's because it hijacked your cell, and that's why it's so cheap".

:confused:

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone!

Now you do. I got rid of mine a year ago and have not looked back. Funny thing to I seem to have a lot more hours in the day now since I got rid of it.

Well I kept the phone and charge it sometimes just because of the phone numbers of friends and such

Back