Stove Top Pasteurizing for Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJay

Reaction score
I saw a sticky post in the Cider forum about pasteurizing cider on a stove which allows you to back-sweeten/carbonate with fermentable sugars and not get bottle bombs. I was wondering if anyone has tried or if this can be done this with mead. I'm not sure if it will produce some negative qualities in the mead? I have a batch of mead I'd like to back sweeten and carbonate but I'm not fond of the idea of using non-fermentable sugars to sweeten...

I saw a sticky post in the Cider forum about pasteurizing cider on a stove which allows you to back-sweeten/carbonate with fermentable sugars and not get bottle bombs. I was wondering if anyone has tried or if this can be done this with mead. I'm not sure if it will produce some negative qualities in the mead? I have a batch of mead I'd like to back sweeten and carbonate but I'm not fond of the idea of using non-fermentable sugars to sweeten...

I crash cool and double filter with a 1 micron filter to remove the yeast. I would think heating it would be very detrimental to the flavor, I never use heat with my honey other than using some 130*F water to dissolve the honey.

Yeah, heating will definitely blow off a lot of the nice volatile compounds from the honey.

Chemical stabilization would be another effective route, that has no appreciable effect on taste; potassium sorbate and potassium- or sodium-metabisulphite (Campden tablets) in conjunction will knock out fermentation, though unfortunately I don't know the dosing off hand.

...potassium sorbate and potassium- or sodium-metabisulphite (Campden tablets) in conjunction will knock out fermentation, though unfortunately I don't know the dosing off hand.
I rack on to 1 teaspoon of potassium sorbate and 1 crushed campden tablet per 3 gallons of mead once it has hit FG (~ .998) and has fallen clear. If I plan on back sweetening it I'll do it at the same time. A Mix-Stir works great to mix it up gently. Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back