question on sweet session mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koniowsky717

Reaction score
Normally I use d47 for my session meads and keep them dry.. Was wondering if anyone had tricks or a specific yeast to keep residual sugar? Want to avoid back-sweeting and I do always rack on top of sulphite/sorbate.

I'm not aware of a strain of yeast that will quit at 5% ABV. Cold crash to 32F, rack onto your sorbate/sulphite maybe. Probably even better to force it through a 1 micron filter to physically strip out the yeast.

About the only way I can think to have a session stop and leave residual sugar would be to bottle it when you get to the residual sweetness you want and to then pasteurize it to kill the yeast. This may affect your flavor some, though several members here swear by pasteurization.

As @Bobby_M said, you could also strip out the yeast with a filter but you might possible also strip out some subtle flavors.

Back