IBU's way off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cloned your recipe and fiddled with which formula is used to calculate the IBUs. The Rager formula on that recipe gets 66.5 IBU and the "Hopville" formula gets 76. You'd have to ask Midwest how they calculated their IBUs.

There are a few different formulas to calculate IBU's Rager formula, tinseth, hopville, etc. Each different formula gives you a different reading. I typically use tinseth when i calculate my recipes.

Also take a look at the water volume they suggest in the recipe as more or less water will also change the Ibus of a recipe.

There are a few different formulas to calculate IBU's Rager formula, tinseth, hopville, etc. Each different formula gives you a different reading. I typically use tinseth when i calculate my recipes.

Also take a look at the water volume they suggest in the recipe as more or less water will also change the Ibus of a recipe.

I didn't realize there were different formulas. Tinseth's gives the 67.5. Is there a "best" formula?

I didn't realize there were different formulas. Tinseth's gives the 67.5. Is there a "best" formula?

I typically use tinseth's as I have noticed a lot of recipes use it, however I am not sure which would be the "best" formula. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Kit looks nice by the way

Latest posts

Back