Ideas for Widmer Brrr Clone (LME)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainMaker

Reaction score
Hey everyone, well its time for the winter brews again. I love the Widmer Brrr and have been drinking it since they started releasing it this year (early october). I have a Jubelale clone in primary right now and would love to to make a clone of Widmer Brrr to go along with it. The Jubelale was only my third batch so Im still using LME, but I cant seem to find any Brrr clones that use LME. If you have a good LME clone or any ideas for one please share with me. Thanks in advance. Happy Brewing. CHEERS

I to love Widmer Brr and am in search of a good extract clone. I had the pleasure of meeting one of their brewers last week and spoke to him about lending a hand in my attempt to emulate Brr along with looking at a Drifter clone, said to just shoot him a email and he would help . Have since sent him a email concerning this earlier today. Will wait and see and post if and when it comes through.

RainMaker said:
Hey everyone, well its time for the winter brews again. I love the Widmer Brrr and have been drinking it since they started releasing it this year (early october). I have a Jubelale clone in primary right now and would love to to make a clone of Widmer Brrr to go along with it. The Jubelale was only my third batch so Im still using LME, but I cant seem to find any Brrr clones that use LME. If you have a good LME clone or any ideas for one please share with me. Thanks in advance. Happy Brewing. CHEERS

Would be interested in the Jubelale recipe that you used!

Of course, Its only been in the primary for 2 weeks. I cant wait to try this one.
Here's the recipe,

JUBELALE CLONE:
- 8.5 lbs pilsner LME
Steeping Grains:
- 1.42 lbs Crystal 150
- 0.71 lbs Crystal 70
- 0.16 lbs Carapils/Dextrine Malt
- 0.08 lbs Roasted Barley
Hops:
- 0.75 oz Nugget @ 60 mins
- 0.62 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
- 0.62 oz Willamette @ 60 mins
- 1.0 oz Tettnanger @ 30 mins
- 0.5 oz Golding @ flame out
- 1.03 oz Golding @ Dry Hop
- 0.52 oz Cascade @ Dry Hop
Yeast:
Wyeast 1098 (British ale)

Predicted OG = 1.071
Predicted FG = 1.020
IBU = 75
SRM = 26.2
ABV = 6.9%

- I decided to use Mt. Hood hops as a sub for Cascade and Willamette as a sub for Golding (only in wort) I did dry Hop with Golding. I added the hops to the primary just after the initial fermentation began to slow down (around the 4th or 5th day). This was my first time dry hopping but I've heard the flavor created from dry hopping at the end of initial fermentation is great.
- The fermentation with this recipe is absolutely CRAZY... I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and I needed a blow off tube urgently after about 14 hours (had to run and get one at Lowe's before it completely overflowed). I swear by the 3rd day of fermentation my blow off bucket became its own batch of beer.

Sorry for the delay, been crazy busy and out of town for awhile (actually had spent the last 3 days in Ft. Collins, had a chance to get a behind the scenes look at New Belgium's operation, especially thier sour beers, have pics of the wooden/wine barrles used pretty cool!) Finally received some info from my contact @ Widmer (one of their brewers) and they provided me with the following info for thier Brr:

Pale Malt - 72.3%
Carapils - 15%
Caramel 10L - 6%
Caramel 80L - 5.6%
Dark Chocolate Malt - .84%

Beginning of the boil - Warrior
End of the boil - Cascade T-45's and Simcoe
(sorry they couldn't give exact amounts due to obvious reasons such as size etc, mentioned BU's should be around 50-60
Wyeast American Ale or White Labs Cali yeast either will do the trick although I got the impression that they favored Wyeast (perhaps an Oregon thing).

I am going to play around with these percentages and try to develop something and brew in the next couple of weeks. We'll see.

Also gave me some additional insight into Widmer Drifter if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

What can be improved upon with this version of Widmer Brr according to the % that Widmer actually utilizes:

7.75 # Briess Golden LME
1 or 1.5 # Cara-Pils
1 # Crystal 80L
1# Crystal 10L
1.5oz Dark Chocolate Malt

1 oz Warrior @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade @ 20 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 10 min

WLP0001 Cali Ale Yeast

Sorry 5 gallon batch with 4 gallon boil volume

1 Tsp IM @ 15 min

Steep specialty @ 154 for 30-45 min

1/3 LME @ biginning of boil
2/3 LME @ FO

Any assitance in critiquing or feedback appreciated

I am a HUGE fan of Brrr, I would be very interested in hearing how this batch turns out.

I am a HUGE fan of Brrr, I would be very interested in hearing how this batch turns out.

It turned out AWESOME and an absolute dead ringer for the original. Several friends gave me the "YOU brewed this??!!??" compliment.

Currently I am 30min into a boil of a second batch of the stuff. It didn't stay around long...

BrewOnBoard

Back