Ridiculous starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
Okay, I made a starter using washed WLP 810 (san Fran lager). I started with a 500 ml starter and stepped it up to 2000 ml. Then cold crashed, poured off the top layer the day before brewing, then got sick and didn't brew. 3 days later I put it back in the fridge and left it for a week. Now I'm ready to brew again so I poured off more of the chilled volume (down to about 1000 ml) and I'm adding 500 ml of fresh wort.

So how large of a starter will I have?

F*ck, this is like taking the SATs again. Only without the multiple choice.

I would measure the thickness of the yeast on the bottom of the flask and confer with Mr. Malty's calcuations.

How big is your beer? I'd even step it up another 2000 ml... having a gallon starter for a lager isn't a bad idea..

That last step of 500 ml you did you probably didn't get any growth. The yeast just fermented that and went back to sleep without reproducing. But you probably had enough cells to do the job anyhow, so no worries.

Latest posts

Back