Rehydrating Dry Yeast and Residual Sticking to Container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I rehydrated 2 packets of US-05 using this method: http://mikesbrewreview.com/how-to-rehydrate-yeast/ .

I dumped the dry yeast into sanitized pre-boiled water at 95 degrees and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I stirred it with a sanitized fork to break up the clumps and let it sit for another 15 minutes.

When I went to dump the mixture into the carboy, it went in smoothly however there was some residual dried yeast stuck to the bottom of my pyrex cup which I was unable to use.

Is this normal? Should I have stirred it again right before pitching?

On a positive note, it started showing signs of fermentation within a few hours and the air lock is bubbling.

well, it's sorta normal yeah. these days i rehydrate in a 500ml erlenmeyer flask, and swish around pretty good or even shake before pitching.

fwiw, I bought that flask at an educational science supply store a whole block from my house for less than $5.

Edit: Oh, and unless this was a Very big beer, my guess is that your brew is Just Fine and you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks, actually this was a Russian Imperial Stout. I may stir it again next time right before pitching just to loosen everything up. I just avoided doing that becuase most of what I read says to only stir once.

Oh I was going to ask why you used two packets of 05... but a Russian Imperial will force that.

If you were noticing active fermentation after just a few hours I would say you are good to go. The few left behind won't hurt anything.

Cheers!

Back