Which hops would you recommend.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Amber Weizen this weekend. I'm calling it Amber Weizen rather than dunkelweizen because I think its more American in style. I've never brewed a hefeweizen before so I was wondering which hops you would recommend and how much. I'm shooting for around 25-30 ibus. The hops I have availiable are Mt. Hood(4.2AA), Tettnanger(4.3AA), Northern Brewer(7.0AA), Willamette(4.5AA), Fuggle(4.5AA), UK Challenger(8.0AA), Simcoe(13.4AA) and Cascade(6.4AA). This is only my third all-grain batch so if theres anything you would recommend changing about the recipe below then let me know. Thanks.

5 gal batch

4 lbs. 2-row pale malt
4 lbs. American white wheat malt
2 lbs. crystal malt (40L)
½ lb. aromatic malt
½ lb. carapils malt
1 tsp. gypsum
White labs American Hefeweizen yeast.

Mash at 153 F degrees.

I would say from that choice to go with the Mt. Hood to best match the style. My favorite for wheats is Hersbrucker.

Simcoe's nice, but it's so high AA% it'll be hard to keep it controlled. Cascade is the classic American hop, that might be a good choice. Really, though, it's more of an American Wheat at that point than an American Hefe, if you're hopping it up to this level (at least in my opinion ;))

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna go with the Mt. Hood being it an American hybrid of a German hop. Just like the beer is an American version of a German beer. I will tone down the ibu to maybe around 20 also. I'm a hophead so I always like to over hop everything but for this style a lower ibu would be desireable so I don't overpower all the other flavors. I was thinking of using simcoe because I've heard good things about it but the_bird is right, it would be difficult to control with the higher AA%. I think i'll try it with my next batch an, IPA which I think I'll be shooting for around 90 ibu. I just tried a bit of my barley wine from the secondary today and its really tasty. I think i'll let it sit a little bit longer to make sure that champange yeast I pitched to the secondary finishes the job so I don't end up with bottle bombs. I figure the Hefe doesn't need to go to a secondary so I can afford to let it sit a little longer.

Latest posts

Back