Diacetyl Rest over---Beginning Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdlogic

Reaction score
It was bubbling through the airlock like once every 30 seconds towards the end of my diacetyl rest. Now that its in the secondary and heading back down (its at 58 degrees as of right now) it doesnt seem to be bubbling at all.

Is everything ok?

Yep, the fermentation should be essentially done. The secondary is just for clearing and aging the brew. Leave it in the secondary for 3 or 4 weeks, bottle and wait another 3 or 4 weeks and you'll have a very good beer.

but theres white gunk on the bottom that settled already (1 day in)--- is it safe to leave my beer touching that, didnt i drain it from the primary to avoid it touching this... trub?

nerdlogic said:
but theres white gunk on the bottom that settled already (1 day in)--- is it safe to leave my beer touching that, didnt i drain it from the primary to avoid it touching this... trub?

Yes, it's fine. That's flocculated yeast and won't cause you problems! I left my lager in the secondary for 4 weeks, lowering the temp 2 degrees per day until I was at 34 degrees. It is the best maibock you could ever imagine- and yes, there was about 1/2 inch of yeast/trub in the bottom. Autolysis is when the yeast eats its own byproducts and at such a cold temperature, the yeast go dormant rather than do that.

I promise you that this will be good! On my scout's honor (although- do I look like a girl scout to you?)

You definitely look like a girl scout, but more like their troop leader. A former girl scout. Of Amsterdam Troop 69.,

I'm so excited that my beer is coming along right.

Latest posts

Back