Making Tea from grains? Will this work for tasting purposes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

See subject. Could I make small teas with different specialty malts to get a better idea of some of the tastes of these without actually brewing a batch?
I've predominately used biscuit and some crystal for my IPA's and lighter ales, while I've used some choco malt, roasted barley for my stouts/porters.
Just curious because I feel like there are so many specialties available that I barely see in any recipes.

Sure. Some of the nuances are difference once fermented, but the tea would give you a pretty good idea.

Get a french press coffee pot, and brew up a bunch of grain teas.

1314284616-french-press.jpg

The Basic Brewing guys also did a series of interesting videos on the topic.

January 28, 2008 - Specialty Grains
James and Steve steep up some specialty grains to compare how they look and taste.

click to view Mp-4 or Flash

May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment
We get unexpected results when we compare unhopped beers made with three different base malts.

May 28, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II
Our Base Malt Experiment continues as we compare beer with and wtihout hops.

August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III
It's the final installment of the Base Malt Experiment as we use liquid yeast to ferment beers made with and without hops.

That's great.
Thanks guys. It was good to see that they recommended doing the "tea" tasting at cool temps to bring the flavor out more.
I would not have thought of that. Gonna head to the LHBS and annoy the guy buy asking him for 1 oz of like 15 specialties lol.

You can also just munch on some dry grain. Obviously not the same thing, but it does give a very good idea of the flavor. I do that pretty much every time I'm picking up grain.

Back