Humorous beer snobbery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paledragon

Reaction score
So I was at one of my lhbs stores awhile back, and they had an advertisement up for a local brewers new brew, which I had already bought a bottle of and found fantastic. Anyway, I asked if he had tried it, and the reply I got was "I don't drink commercial beer.". These guys are great, don't get me wrong. But considering the batch probably didn't distribute much outside a 30 mile radius of Boston, I found the characterization of the beer as "too commercial" pretty comical.

I just finished off a flying dog double pale ale, which even though is commercially available, tasted pretty damn good and inspired me to post something that hopefully provides a few laughs. Sometimes, we just take ourselves too damn seriously.

P.d

Yeah, these guys are great. I'm sure he may make fine beer, but to disregard anything sold as equally as good or *gasp* better is pure D-Baggery.

i think given the option to try a home brew or a commercial brew (even craft brews), i would try the homebrew, be it mine or one of you guys, or who evers. the reason for that is uniquness. thats not to say that it would be better or even as good. i love brewing beers, and would jump at the chance to try another brewer's beer, but i still absolutly love craft brewed commercial beers. there's a reason that they became pro brewers...because they're good at it. if someone thinks they can do so much better than why don't they own a brewery?

rycov said:
there's a reason that they became pro brewers...because they're good at it. if someone thinks they can do so much better than why don't they own a brewery?

And if you don't have skills to be pro brewer you can always be that one ****** working at the LBSH.

haha. those that can't, sell **** to others so they can. (a variation on "those who can't, teach")

If it's like most LHBS's only about half of them have never made beer themselves. But they've all drank the store stuff but not much else outside of BMC. They tend to be hippy-ish without much disposable income. I'll give them a small benefit of the doubt that these kids don't have the resources to drink many of the good craft brews. For them, it really is home brew or BMC.

There's also the "hipster" factor at play.

That being said, if it's the owner pulling the attitude, I withdraw my forgiveness.;)

Edit: Flying Dog is a pretty good brewery.

So I was at one of my lhbs stores awhile back, and they had an advertisement up for a local brewers new brew, which I had already bought a bottle of and found fantastic. Anyway, I asked if he had tried it, and the reply I got was "I don't drink commercial beer.". These guys are great, don't get me wrong. But considering the batch probably didn't distribute much outside a 30 mile radius of Boston, I found the characterization of the beer as "too commercial" pretty comical.

I just finished off a flying dog double pale ale, which even though is commercially available, tasted pretty damn good and inspired me to post something that hopefully provides a few laughs. Sometimes, we just take ourselves too damn seriously.

P.d

Was it Pretty Things East India Porter?

Yeah, I will no longer go to one of the LHBS's around here because of the shear *****eyness of the owner. She is one of the most pretentious beer snobs I've ever met. I thought the stereotypical wine snob was bad; well they've got nothing on her. She really gives us all a bad name. As it turns out, her and her husband only brew all grain once a year. She told me that she won't go on this site because she thought that people were too outrageous on here. She's stuck in really old school ideals and is overall a ******. Needless to say, I'll take the extra 20 min of driving to go to the store with no *****es and less selection. Those people really try to ruin a good thing.

Too commercial is a bull **** way of describing beer. Just because it is a crisp clean pilsner or something doesnt make it commercial it makes it dead on to the style haha

paledragon said:

P.d

He didn't want to be alienated from his beer-labor by the capitalist system, obviously he is a marxist!

Too commercial is a bull **** way of describing beer. Just because it is a crisp clean pilsner or something doesnt make it commercial it makes it dead on to the style haha

The OP described it as too commercial. The LHBS employee/owner said he doesn't drink commercial beer, which is different.

I think a lot of people on this site have said they don't buy or endeavor to not buy any commercial beer and that claim is not usually met with mocking.

The OP described it as too commercial. The LHBS employee/owner said he doesn't drink commercial beer, which is different.

I think a lot of people on this site have said they don't buy or endeavor to not buy any commercial beer and that claim is not usually met with mocking.

Yeah, I got that too...it would really get down to the tone the person said it in. I love me some well made beer, but don't want to spend the money so I drink more of what I brew than what I buy.

On the other hand, I went to a local shop that was hosting a Unibroue tasting once and the Unibroue rep started going off about how dumb Seattle was for loving Mac and Jack's African Amber because, "it wasn't even a style" and kept pushing the issue when people got upset that their beloved Mac and Jacks was being insulted. The point, there are always dumb asses who try selling their wares by insulting the competition. For me, if the only way to make your product good enough is to insult the competition then your product probably sucks and you know it so you have to convince the customer that the competition sucks more.

The point, there are always dumb asses who try selling their wares by insulting the competition. For me, if the only way to make your product good enough is to insult the competition then your product probably sucks and you know it so you have to convince the customer that the competition sucks more.

I would like to direct this quote at the debate forum.;)

P.d

Was this place in Cambridge? Damn hippsters

YShe is one of the most pretentious beer snobs I've ever met.

I thought for sure you were describing St. Pats. Then I realized that she is so pretentious she only caters to the wine crowd now. Talk about alienating the people who helped you move your rinky dink operation out of your garage. I don't think anyone will ever top Lynne's *****ebaggery. That and she acted like you owed her something for even providing you the opportunity to shop at her store in the first place.

Sorry to derail the topic, but it seemed it careened in to bagging on d-bag lhbs owners anyway.

thats because they are on this forum. i don't know the guy he's talking about, so i feel pretty confident in talking **** behind his back. it would be a different story if the OP was talking about some one here:D

rycov said:
thats because they are on this forum. i don't know the guy he's talking about, so i feel pretty confident in talking **** behind his back. it would be a different story if the OP was talking about some one here:D

I lold

And I thought I was turning into a beer snob. I have been proven wrong. At least the guys at my LHBS try to help as much as possible. You can actually rap with them about brewing's lighter side.

the only beer I buy commercially is made by blind deaf monks in the oldest monastery in the world, and they kill the monks after they make a batch of beer so they can use their skins as bottles and that no beer ever like it will be brewed again :p

I love hearing beer snobs talk about what is too commercial its just hilarious.

P.d

They probably have someone else buy cases of PBR for them.

I'll admit I can be a bit of a snob sometimes, but try to keep an open mind. I've actually grown tired of the Beer Advocate reviews. If a beer isn't overly (insert favorite flavor note here), then it won't get a good rating. Forget any kind of good rating for a std lager. There is just a little bit too much of comparing apples and oranges. Yes this pilsner has nowhere near the hops of an IPA, but that doesn't mean the pilsner can't be just as good. I wish the people would judge them to style. Instead, is seems more like the styles themselves are rated. "Oh, it's a pilsner, well then subtract X points right there."

I'll admit I can be a bit of a snob sometimes, but try to keep an open mind. I've actually grown tired of the Beer Advocate reviews. If a beer isn't overly (insert favorite flavor note here), then it won't get a good rating. Forget any kind of good rating for a std lager. There is just a little bit too much of comparing apples and oranges. Yes this pilsner has nowhere near the hops of an IPA, but that doesn't mean the pilsner can't be just as good. I wish the people would judge them to style. Instead, is seems more like the styles themselves are rated. "Oh, it's a pilsner, well then subtract X points right there."

+1 THIS!!!

Style, Style, Style.

Truly, even a style can be a limiting factor. It's only useful for competition purposes. You can make a VERY tasty beer that does not fit any style confines. You should not subtract "points" for it outside of a competition.

Does it taste good? There ya go.

even if they are describing a beer thats not to style, but still good. "It doesn't really fit in to the stout category, but its a great beer. delightfully roasty and blah blah..." when i want to know if a beer is good, thats it. it may help me to know that the beer is not to style, but that's no reason to call it inferior.

I seldom buy beer, really the only time I do is when I go to a pub or am out to eat. I don't think that makes me a snob. I drink handmade beer because I've got a lot of it around.

but seldom buying beer, or even never buying beer is different than making it a point to say that you haven't tried somthing because you "don't drink commercial beer". OP just asked if he tried it. the non snob answere would be "no", not "i don't drink commercial beer"

Truly, even a style can be a limiting factor. It's only useful for competition purposes. You can make a VERY tasty beer that does not fit any style confines. You should not subtract "points" for it outside of a competition.

Does it taste good? There ya go.

Exactly! I swear not enough brewers get credit for simply making a good tasting beer. The guys who get most of the press are the guys doing extreme stuff. Not to take anything away from someone like Sam C, but if all you knew about beer was what you saw on TV, you'd think A-B, M-C, BBC & DFH were the only breweries in the US. The first 3 because they run commercials, and DFH because of the Brewmasters show.

Completely agree.

Imperial Stout +5 Rating Points!

Back