Barb Fitting differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPLASTiK

Reaction score
AKA my quest for the perfect fitting. Yes, I'm being super picky, probably to the point of absurdity, but I just really liked what I originally got!

So around November (I think) I bought some a couple 1/2"mpt x 1/2" fittings from MoreBeer. I thought they looked great so several months later I ordered some more but they were completely different.

The new barbs were designed differently and the barb itself skinnier and longer. They also say "304" and "1/2-150" on one of the hex sides while the old have nothing on them. I e-mailed and asked if maybe I got the wrong product or they got a new design/supplier and sent some pictures. They replied saying they'd look into it and whatnot and offered to send me replacements. I replied and well, B3's customer service left much to be desired when they didn't reply again and I received nothing.

So I tried Bargain Fittings, I got something similar to the new ones I got from B3's but slightly different and returned them. I was apparently the first person to ever return something to him haha. I would recommend though, easy to deal with and has good prices and ball valves which I kept.

Then I tried KLG Stainless and received them today, they're the exact same ones as the newer ones I got from B3 (which wouldn't surprise me if they're B3's supplier since they're like 30 miles away).

Here's some pictures:
Pic of the barbs
Inside Barb. Hard to see but old one is full flow from end to end, new one tapers inside up until the barb
Barbs next to tape measure
From above

Anyone know a supplier for the barbs of old? Bought any barbs from B3 recently and gotten the old or new style? Or you can just call me out for me incredibly picky and anal about the barbs...:drunk:

Looks to me like you have two different sized fittings in the pic with the tape measure. The one on the left is for 3/8" ID tubing and the one on the right appears to be for 1/2" ID tubing. The confusion may have been caused by the ID vs OD tubing dimensions. The 3/8" ID tubing is usually 1/2" OD and the 1/2" ID tubing has an OD of 5/8". This is not always the case as some of the available tubing has thicker walls, yet the ID is the same. I'm sure your could probably cram the 1/2" ID barb into a 3/8" tube without too much trouble, but it would probably be better to get the correct size for your tubing. The reason that the new fitting appears to be tapered is that it is transitioning from a nominal 1/2" ID NPT down to only 1/4" ID on the barb end. It would necessarily need to be tapered for a smooth transition. The "old" 1/2" NPT x 1/2" barb does not appear to be tapered. Instead it has a straight through 3/8" ID, not 1/2" even though externally it is 1/2" NPT. The 304 marking on the new fitting is a reference to 304 grade Stainless Steel. The 1/2-150 seems to be a reference to the pipe thread, but 1/2" NPT would be 14 threads per inch, not 15. That one has me baffled.

I think both of his are actually 1/2" hose barbs. I've checked several vendors and they all vary a little bit.

Looking at the tape measure picture it appears that both are at least 1/2" from the widest taper point on the barbs.

Do these fitting have a machined center bore or this as cast with these stainless fittings?
If it were my barb fitting I would drill it out on the lathe to the minimum wall thickness behind each barb for the largest diameter and the best flow for my brewing system. Cheap and fast is the name of the game with manufacturing these days with much room for improvement available should one look into any of these fittings and items. What is the country of manufacture I must add. Do I hear made in China?

It sure doesn't look that way to me, but maybe my eyesight is slipping.

Hmmmm those new ones look much better BargainFittings! I might just have to return the ones I got from KLG and place a new order from you if I can't find any like my old MoreBeer ones.

On the issue of tubing ID....
I can fit the new ones in 3/8" ID silicone tubing though it's pretty snug and I have to use a little bit of force, you can't at all get the the old ones in. With 1/2" ID silicone tubing you can almost drop the new ones into the tubing.

samc: Parker makes great stuff, have some different fittings from them I found cheap on ebay new... expensive though retail.

I bought a bunch from Northern Brewer because they were cheap and yes they are cheap. The last few I bought from McMaster Car and they are so much nicer, well worth the couple extra bucks. They work really well with silicone tubing due to the large lip on the end.

Mike
barb01.jpg

barb02.jpg

Latest posts

Back