Pumpkin Ale, Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris6

Reaction score
Hi I kinda threw together this 2.5 gallon recipe for a pumpkin ale from a few different recipes and does anyone have any suggestions. I figured by the time I brew this and get it bottled it would be fall time:( Also I really can't tell whats a good yeast to go with this.(Kind of new at this)

4.0lb Pale LME or Wheat LME
.75lb Brown Sugar
.50lb American Crystal 10L
.50lb Corn Sugar

.75oz Summit 60min
.25oz Cascade 20min
.25oz Cascade 10min

3 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
1 tsp. Cinnamon
30oz Canned pumpkin

Mix the Pumpkin mix and add to the last 20 minutes then let sit in the fermenter for 7 days

Chris

Go with EKG and Fuggle for hops. The citrus of the cascade (which I love for Pale Ales) is going to fight the pumpkin. Plus....Summit is just nasty. :) Cut the spices way down. It is easier to add later. For Yeast use us-05, 04 or Nottingham. Again, trying not to overwhelm/fight the pumpkin.

Good luck, Brew on....:mug:

I agree about the hops - I would not pair citrusy hops with cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices. I also agree that Summitt can be nasty - not sure what it is exactly, perhaps the amount you use or the timing or the particular crop, but I very often get an oniony/garlic flavor from it instead of the fruity tangerine it is supposed to have.

Cut the spices down - better to add more in secondary or at bottling if you need to. Here's a recipe that seems to be very popular - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/ - I am going to use it as the foundation for my own attempt this fall. Also, here's a good thread in case you haven't seen it yet - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pu...ng-recipes-tips-tricks-good-practices-131786/

So based on your advise I was going to try cut down on the spices and change the hops. Does this sound any better?

3.3lb Gold LME
.75lb Brown Sugar
.50lb American Crystal 10L
.50lb Carapils

.50oz Fuggle 30min
.50oz Golding 20min

1 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
.5 tsp. Cinnamon
30oz Canned pumpkin

Yeast Wyeast 1450

Back