How cold is too cold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepbeer

Reaction score
The weather suddenly turned real cold here in Walla walla and I have 3 cases of 22 oz bottles carbing in the basement. Been 7 days now and no carb yet... I guess it went als low as 40 degrees down there... If I bring it upstairs and warm it up will it resume carbonation or did I freeze the yeast? Im hoping I dont have 3 cases of flat bottled beer forever.

Thanks again everyone.:tank:

Cheepbeer said:
The weather suddenly turned real cold here in Walla walla and I have 3 cases of 22 oz bottles carbing in the basement. Been 7 days now and no carb yet... I guess it went als low as 40 degrees down there... If I bring it upstairs and warm it up will it resume carbonation or did I freeze the yeast? Im hoping I dont have 3 cases of flat bottled beer forever.

Thanks again everyone.:tank:

Bring it upstairs, hopefully around 70 degrees, and the carbonation should resume. You did not freeze the yeast, they just went dormant and should wake up as soon as they warm up. Cheers!

Bring it back up to temp. I live in Fairbanks and have had some bottled brew get pretty cold (sub 40)when I didn't turn my garage zone valve on. Brought it back up to temp and *wham bam* the yeasties went right back to work.

Happy Brewing!

Absolutely get them up to 70 but don't be surprised if they take another 2-3 weeks! Even at 70, that's the recommended time to allow for full conditioning and carbonating of the average size beer.

Thanks I feel much better now all! Great forum. One day I hope to participate more. So busy lately. Thanks!!

Back