Sour Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman300sd

Reaction score
I posted this in the "General Techniques" section, but didnt really get any feedback, so I am putting this here for you rebel brewers.

The Maibock i've been lagering for four months got infected. Probably because my femerntation took forever (over a month) and towards the end I was checking the gravity every other day. Something must have gotten introduced. I've tasted it, and it tastes pretty good but definitely sour. What should I do? If I bottle it now will the "souring" process stop? I'm not sure I want it getting anymore tart. It's actually quite refreshing as it is right now. Never had a sour lager before.

What should I do? Bottle now? Age longer? Add anything to stop the infection? Not sure what bug got in there but it looks like small puffy cotton balls floating on the top. Heavy smell of fusels when I open the bucket.

Thats the thing.....it's been sitting in my fridge at 35 degrees for three months and the bug has grown. Obviously it doesnt mind the cold. So I think even if I bottled it and kept the bottles cold, it would keep fermenting right? Will post pics soon.

I wouldn't just bottle it. You'd probably have some overcarbonated or potential gushers. Maybe just let it sour more and then if it is too bad go the full monte and try adding some fruit or something funky.

Sorry, I didn't see that you were still lagering it. It sounds like it could be mold. I'm not used to seeing any bacterial or yeast infections that look like cotton balls but then again I've never seen any at those temperatures.

eh....so not quite cotton balls, but definitely some funk. Tasting it again....it's not full blown sour, but certainly a little tart. Should I add something to kill the infection and stop the souring process (metabisulfate?), pull it out of the fridge and let it go AWOL or just bottle it now with little to no priming sugar and see what happens?

20120501_194932.jpg

that doesnt look like any "good" infection that I'm familiar with. looks like floating yeast?

Is it fuzzy? Certainly could be mold.

I agree it doesn't look like the usual suspects but like I said before I'm not sure what any of those would look like at those temperatures.

Back