Brewing Coopers American Ale with dark brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonniecl

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get a batch of beer going today and bought a Coopers American Ale with one pound of dme not sure what I was thinking, but it wasnt enough Malt Extract my Gravity reading was way to low. So I went to the store and bought some dark brown sugar and put it into the brew. Im nervous on how its going to turn out. What do you guys think? Happy Brewing all:mug:

This was a kit? With 1 lb of fermentables? What is the batch size? What other ingredients were there? I'm nervous too.

I'm guessing that the kit included the 1.7 kg can of prehopped malt extract. Then just add the 1 lb of DME, some water, and pitch the yeast. Coopers usually makes 23 L ~ 5 imperial gallons.

Well, it'll taste different, due to the brown sugar--but that depends on how much you put in. It won't be bad, but you'll probably notice a little molasses flavor if you added a lot.

Now, I gotta say that I've made several Cooper's kits and just added 1 lb. of DME, because I was trying to brew something fairly light in alcohol. They do come out fine. You probably would have been satisfied with just the 1 lb, unless you really wanted the higher alcohol.

Ages ago did a kit with an extra 500g dme and 500g brown sugar. Came out a nice sort of light ale that people really liked at a homebrew party I threw. It'll turn out a good drinkable brew I'd say!

Hey guys I made a coopers dark ale with brown sugar. It turned out unreal - tasted amazing. Here is a little video i made with the recipe and also a taste test. Enjoy the video and if you have any coopers questions feel free to ask - cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back