Ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arwelsh

Reaction score
I'm brewed and in fermentation at my parents house. I brewed 10 days ago. I'm using the "Altitude Amber" kit from homebrewers.com. I didn't take as diligent notes as I should have on brewing day so can't provide as many details as I would like. I even forgot to take an OG measure of my own although one was provided by the kit (below). Additionally, the directions are generic and don't have a specific ending gravity I should be shooting for.

Here's what I know:
The kit included dry Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast;
I used 1.5 oz of hops, another .5 finishing hops, and kept the hops in the fermentor;
The website gave me these numbers: OG - 1.047; IBU - 17; SRM - 12
The (generic) directions said fermentation should complete in 5-7 days;

Recent gravity measurments (prompted by significant decrease in bubbling):
12/21 = 1.015
12/22 = 1.013
12/23 = 1.014 - 1.013 (chalked that up to being the same as 12/22)
12/24 = 1.012

I was planning on bottling from the primary since I'm working on an abbreviated time scale but I racked to my secondary/bottler today so I could at least take care of cleaning the primary while I'm here. We'll be leaving to see some family on 12/26 and I'll probably taking all of my stuff with us (family is 4 hrs away, I'm leaving my stuff/truck where I live 2 hrs away). I would really like to bottle either tonight or tomorrow but don't want to be assemble 48 glass bombs on Christmas day.

I would really like to bottle here because I think it will be significantly easier to sanitize bottles in my parents dishwasher & kitchen and it would make travel a lot easier. If I don't bottle here I've read about traveling during fermentation on the boards and am open to that option but my apartment will be empty for a few days and I won't be able to be near it and our thermostat has been known to do its own thing sometimes. Also, taking it with me to my family's house isn't really much of an option.

What should I do?

You can't bottle until the gravity is the same at least three days in a row! Otherwise, you risk bottle bombs.

I'd suggest waiting until tomorrow and checking the SG again. If it's the same, you are probably safe to bottle but I'd still try to figure a way to go at last three days without the gravity changing.

Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking. Anyone else have experiance with this kit or this type of specific situation?

You may have a time schedule but the yeast's schedule doesn't mesh with yours. While it might be OK to bottle after 10 days it might not and leave you with gushers or bottle bombs. Can you change your schedule to bottle two or 3 weeks from now? You can be pretty sure the yeast will be done by then and have cleaned up any off flavors produced earlier.

You may have a time schedule but the yeast's schedule doesn't mesh with yours. While it might be OK to bottle after 10 days it might not and leave you with gushers or bottle bombs. Can you change your schedule to bottle two or 3 weeks from now? You can be pretty sure the yeast will be done by then and have cleaned up any off flavors produced earlier.

Yeah, I'm starting more and more to think I'm just going to move everything to my place and just let it be for a week or two. If anything It'll probably be too cool as opposed to too warm (in terms of comfortable temps for humans) so I imagine the beer will be fine.

Yeah,generally what's a lil cool for us is a good temp for ale yeasties. Take'em home where they'll get more attention from the creator...;)

Back