Looking for advice on a fruit/oak infused ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredkent

Reaction score
I'm constantly reading brewing books, new techniques, old techniques to brush up. I came to the conclusion recently that I'd like to brew more beers with adjuncts. I decided to dive into fruit and oak. I have a few questions to bounce off you guys...

I was thinking Cherries and Medium Toasted American Oak. Do you think this combination would work? I want to use fresh fruit, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find cherries this time of year. Do you have any other fruit recommendations?

Also, I'm not sure I'd add these to any of my current recipes. What style would you recommend? Personally I was thinking a Porter, though maybe something with a bit lighter malt may work as well. Do you know of any good recipes I can use for that style as a base. I want to start off with a recipe I know will be good before I add the oak/fruit, so that I don't have to worry about trying new recipes, as well.

Let me know what you think.

If you're sticking with cherries, the type would affect which style I went with. If they're dark sweet cherries I'd go with a porter or a chocolate stout. If they're the lighter color tart cherries try something like a Belgian strong ale or maybe a saison.
But I feel like you will always get the best results, and support your local farmers, when you use local fruit. And since its going in beer it doesn't have to be pretty. There is a peach orchard walking distance from my house, so I plan to ask him for the uglies and make some peach weissbier. Then again the blackberries in the back yard look good too... Good luck.

I'll probably head to the farmer's market this saturday and take a look at what they have to offer. I wont be brewing until after Christmas, but it will give me some time to plan what I want to do.

What are you thoughts on a Fruit and Oak combo?

Could be good. I had a brewpub sour brown recently that was aged in bourbon barrels. It wasnt made with fruit, but the beer had a distinct tart cherry taste which went very nicely with the vanilla notes of the oak. As far as a first time I would stick with a dark fruit dark beer combo to oak age. I would brew a test batch first with the fruit, see how you like it, then if you want to add complexity add the oak.

Cherry Adam from the Wood is outstanding with cherry and oak. Cherry puree is a good bet. You can also find frozen pie cherries at some grocery stores.

That Cherry Adam from the Wood sounds delicious. I'll have to hunt down a bottle. Definitely boosts my confidence that Cherry and Oak will make a good combo. Now to find the right style to fit the job. I'll probably stick with a porter, though maybe I'll go with some sort of strong ale.

I did a bit of research and found that Cherry Adam from the Wood isn't shipped this far East. I guess I wont be able to try it, or use it as a reference. Here's hoping mine turns out similar.

I'll have to find someone living in the NorthWest who will be willing to ship me out a bottle.

Back