Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Ive gotten pretty good at brewing berliner weisses, so I figured, why not give a gose a try. I dont know if anyone has brewed one, but Im curious to see what people think.

7 gals - 70%effic.
OG - 1.048
FG - 1.012
4.7%abv.

6.75lb each of pilsen and wheat
mash at 148
15 min boil with .8oz sterling (8 IBU)
1.2oz of coriander 5 min
1.5oz of sea salt 5 mins
2 packs of lacto
Im going to split 3.5gals each between 2 yeasts. WL Hefe IV and WL Kolsch

traditionally it was made with a german wheat yeast, but i figured if the kolsch yeast works so well for my berliners, why not try that too. i also thought about dumping in a bottle of my berliner since its already got a nice acidity to get the beer going. any thoughts

Sounds good to me. If you like the extra kick from additional sourness, make a starter with the lacto. Search this site for links; I've seen them on here already. I haven't had a gose, but post your results.

How did this go? I'm planning a gose having fallen in love with the style from visiting bayerischer bahnhof in leipzig. Have just got the yeasts beginner weissebl blend to use for this.

1.5oz of sea salt was way too much. The salinity gave it an almost chlorine like quality. Ive since brewed up a second batch with .5oz of salt to start with and its there, but not overpowering. I also upped the coriander to 1.5oz. The latest batch turned out pretty good. Lemony flavor from the coriander, some salt quality, and nice clove note from the Hefe V yeast (which after the first batches was much tastier than the neutral yeast). Its like the best thing about a hefe, wit, and add a touch of saltiness to it.

Back