How much lactic acid to add in a 5 gallon gose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie Fresh

Reaction score
Hi gang!

I'm going to be brewing my first all-grain gose in a few days (5 gallon batch). I bought all of the ingredients from a local homebrew store. Here is what was included:

4.75 lb Pilsner malt
3.75 lb Pale wheat malt
1 oz. Huell Melon hop pellets (@ 60 min in boil)
0.5 oz. coriander (@ 10 min left in boil)
1 oz. Brewer's sea salt (@ 10 min left in boil)
1 oz. sweet orange peel (@ 10 min left in boil)
Wyeast 1007 German ale yeast

And it also came with a 5 oz. bottle of 88% lactic acid (to be added to taste right before bottling).

I'll also be using all RO water from Walmart. I have some gypsum, but don't know if I should add any.

I've seen a lot of different opinions on how much lactic acid is needed to get a good sour flavor--mostly in the 1 to 2 oz. range.

Any advice?

For what it's worth, I ended up using 2.5 oz. of Lactic Acid in my 5-gallon batch. My wife and I taste tested as we added 0.5 oz at a time while the gose was in the bottling bucket. I just bottled it yesterday, so we'll see how things turn out in about a week.

FYI souring with bacteria is pretty easy, and it's the most common way to make sour beer.
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer
Adding straight lactic acid is sort of like steeping some barley, adding vodka, and calling it home brew beer. The taste is different (generally worse) and it's not "brewing" in the sense of a biochemical process.

Anyway, if you like it, that's all that matters. Just be aware there are better methods.

Back