Altbier Fermentation Finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tone091

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of altbier I brewed on Wed Dec 8th and pitched Wyeast 1007. The air lock went crazy for the first few days, now I have nothing. The temp on the therm strip on the bucket says 68-70 degrees. Should I be worried that the yeast has stalled?

No, first you should take a gravity reading and see if it is in the expected FG range. If it isn't, let it keeps going. If it is in the expected range, then wait a couple days and check again to make sure it's done.

To know that fermentation is done, you'd be looking for constant gravity readings over 2 or 3 days. If they are differing (i.e., getting lower) then it is still fermenting. If they are getting higher, you need a new hydrometer.

Also, since you are fermenting in a bucket, know that they aren't 100% sealed. You may get some bypass of fermentation gases which would result in your airlock showing premature reduced activity.

In the end, RDWHAHB.

Don't worry, you had lots of activity at the start, you also fermented high, I would suspect it is just about doen. Check the gravity. Generally the gravity should end up around 25% of the start gravity (or lower). So for a 1.060, you would be looking for something around 1.015 or lower. The actual FG is dependent on many things including yeast strain, mash temp, sugars/adjuncts used, etc, so it could end up higher than I note above.

Even if it is at FG, I would still leave it where it is for at least 2 weeks.

I had one go from 1.056 to 1.010 in 28 hours earlier this week. It will probably stay in the fermenter for about 4 weeks.

Thats almost exactly what mine did. It is about 1.011 or so now, it started about 1.058 or 1.059. Thanks, thats the kind of info I was hoping somebody could give me.

Don't worry, you had lots of activity at the start, you also fermented high, I would suspect it is just about doen. Check the gravity. Generally the gravity should end up around 25% of the start gravity (or lower). So for a 1.060, you would be looking for something around 1.015 or lower. The actual FG is dependent on many things including yeast strain, mash temp, sugars/adjuncts used, etc, so it could end up higher than I note above.

Even if it is at FG, I would still leave it where it is for at least 2 weeks.

I had one go from 1.056 to 1.010 in 28 hours earlier this week. It will probably stay in the fermenter for about 4 weeks.

Back