Craigslist Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtd_1

Reaction score
So i picked up an old chest freezer on craigslist today, approx 15 cf. The compressor runs but i cannot get the temp to drop below 60 degrees (using digital probe therm, the freezer doesnt have a readout). It is approx 67 degrees ambient here. The inner walls are cooler than air temp by a bit ( i believe this is how it cools?). I dont see any air vents on the inside. Any thoughts? Might it just need freon? will this thing be worth the hassle? I already have to clean it up a lot, including a paint job.

Thanks

Joe

picked it straight up and went straight down with it. It did slide around a little in the truck but not much. just found the thermostat, and it was in the mid range(it was behind a panel right by the compressor, this thing is old!). turned it all the way down (cold) just now.

ok, so the compressor is pretty hot to the touch and no improvement. There are two lines that are cool to the touch but not cold, other two lines are pretty warm.

Well it looks as if this thing wont cool.

I have a question, Can i just gut a minifridge for its cooling components and rig it up on the chest freezer ( i am going to use this as a fermentation chamber)?

If so anyone know of some one gutting one before? I tried a search but nothing too specific.

I would get someone to check the freon first. All of the trouble with getting the mini-fridge put in there is not really worth it. Or you could buy another one and sell this one to someone else.

So i picked up an old chest freezer on craigslist today, approx 15 cf. The compressor runs but i cannot get the temp to drop below 60 degrees (using digital probe therm, the freezer doesnt have a readout). It is approx 67 degrees ambient here. The inner walls are cooler than air temp by a bit ( i believe this is how it cools?). I dont see any air vents on the inside. Any thoughts? Might it just need freon? will this thing be worth the hassle? I already have to clean it up a lot, including a paint job.

Thanks

Joe

Sounds to me like the compressor is shot. You might want to just give up on it and get a new one or a newer used on.

well i dont think im going to be smart and give up on it. I am going to carefully gut a cheap mini-fridge and rig it up.
I really like the size of this thing (after measurements i can fit 2 carboys, 1 better bottle, and at least one corny in there, not even using the hump space) and for a couple more bucks i can test out my fab skills.

Back