i think i need a blowout tube!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
2jcaiqo.jpg

after 3 hours, it is bubbling like crazy. we put some extra honey on this one. whoaa

White champagne yeast. I forget the exact kind but it said it was enough for 6 gallons. We started te yeast before we started so it had some time to get active. It was fresh cider directly from the orchard. 60 bucks for 10 gallons. Haha. It would have been a bit cheaper if we brought our own containers.

If my buddy contained the yeast activity and this turns out good, well be making more.

I'm wishing I left that much head room in my apfelwein. I filled (According to recipe) up to the neck, and have got a decent bit of krausen in my airlock after about 6 hours. I used Vintner’s Harvest CL23 yeast in mine, and the juice was just treetop no additive.

To the OP, about what temp are you fermenting at? Mine is around 75* (trying to get lower with wet towels, and looking for a used freezer on CL).

I'm wishing I left that much head room in my apfelwein. I filled (According to recipe) up to the neck, and have got a decent bit of krausen in my airlock after about 6 hours. I used Vintner’s Harvest CL23 yeast in mine, and the juice was just treetop no additive.

To the OP, about what temp are you fermenting at? Mine is around 75* (trying to get lower with wet towels, and looking for a used freezer on CL).

Itwas still upstairs so 70-72 degrees. 65 downstairs. What are good temps for cider?

cooler is better generally, it will be happier at 65 degrees.

I get big heads of krausen a lot with fresh cider. Usually not so much with ale yeast, but adding honey or malt can make it get a big head. I

Mine's been bubbling up and over all night. I think I'm just going to thief a cup or two out, to give it a bit more room. If that doesn't work I'll replace the standard airlock with a gallon jug overflow cache.

yeah. it seemed to settle down a bit. i think well try and clean the top part though. it was getting through the airlock.

im bored and nothing to do but football today so i took a few video clips of it and put it on youtube. boredom kills. here ya go:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was still going crazy so I added a blow off into a 1 gal carboy. I should be able to put the standard 3 piece airlock back in place in the next couple days.

And wow that's an incredibly active fermentation you got there!

Mine was still going crazy so I added a blow off into a 1 gal carboy. I should be able to put the standard 3 piece airlock back in place in the next couple days.

And wow that's an incredibly active fermentation you got there!

did you add anything besides apples? when we rack it, i was going to sample it. one is suppose to be heavily spiced, so if it isnt heavy on cinnamin, well probably add a few more sticks.

Just apple juice and dextrose in mine. Tried following the apfelwein recipe pretty closely, just with a slightly different yeast than recommended. I just checked on it when I got back from soccer and it looks like the krausen has already broke. I'll re sanitize attach the standard air lock and stopper (the carboy cap is a bit loose on this better bottle) tomorrow if nothing has changed.

Back