Remineralization Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDamnBatch

Reaction score
I have some questions related to water filters used after a RO/DI water filtration system.

1.) If you use a remineralization filter how does it affect your beer? What benefits does it have? Can this be used in lieu of adding minerals? Example.

2.) What is the purpose of some of the extraneous filters listed in this document. (Magnetic ion alignment sounds fraudulent and does not appear to be a scientifically sound principle.)

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) If you use a remineralization filter how does it affect your beer? What benefits does it have? Can this be used in lieu of adding minerals? Example.

This thing is doubtless packed with pulverised limestone or dolomitic limestone. You have just gone to great trouble and expense to remove hardness and alkalinity from your water and this device will just put it back in. If you are using RO to get iron, lead and other nasty stuff out and want to get a bit of flavor back into your water this is a good thing to do but the major reason brewers use RO is to get alkalinity out (as well as other things).

2.) What is the purpose of some of the extraneous filters listed in this document. (Magnetic ion alignment sounds fraudulent and does not appear to be a scientifically sound principle.)

The purpose of some of them is to separate ions from the water (RO, Ion exchange). The purpose of the others is to separate you from your money. All this frequencies and memory stuff is pure bunkum. I have seen GAC or KDF 'polish' filters after an RO membrane and they are more or less legit being intended to capture organics and traces of metal ions which have made it through the membrane but they are not necessary in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing is doubtless packed with pulverised limestone or dolomitic limestone.

Here's what's in the first example I linked (not sure what most of this stuff is actually...):

41Cs1su3GoL.jpg

KDF is a metal powder which is designed to reduce metallic ions to the metal which plates on the the KDF matrix.

Calcor is a proprietary blend of calcium and magnesium carbonates (Dolomitic limestone) and potassium carbonates plus some other things.

Quartz is silicon dioxide.

A magnet is a magnet.

Tourmaline is a mineral which contains boron.

A negative ion is a negative ion but you can't buy a bottle of negative ions to put in a filter.

The presence of the magnet here is enough to put this device, with some of the others, into the snake oil category.

At the center point of the triangle where the magnetic energy surrounds the water as it flows through this section, there is a 36,000 Gauss magnetic field that has an effect of erasing the frequency memory on the passing water. This field influences the ions within the water to enhance ion exchange that improves the oxygen utilization of the water. Water molecules are usually random, or disorganized. This strong field also makes the water molecules coherent or more organized. Most importantly is its ability to erase unwanted frequencies.

Haha, makes me wonder how these guys feel about MRI machines.....

Some of the manufacturers of these systems claim that they output "PH balanced water."

That must mean the output water has a PH of 7.0.

What the makeup of that water is, would be another story. It would need to be tested.

I'm dealing with a similar issue, but have thought of a different approach. I was planning on buying some mineral stones and just leaving them in the water collection jug. I'm using a berkey water filter setup and the water tastes soft and plain, when I prefer water more like Fiji water, which has quite a bit of dissolved minerals in it. I brewed with distilled water and mineral water and definitely prefer mineral water.

I'm dealing with a similar issue, but have thought of a different approach. I was planning on buying some mineral stones and just leaving them in the water collection jug. I'm using a berkey water filter setup and the water tastes soft and plain, when I prefer water more like Fiji water, which has quite a bit of dissolved minerals in it. I brewed with distilled water and mineral water and definitely prefer mineral water.
*Greatly* simplified, mineral water will benefit beers like an IPA and softer water will go towards the Pilsener side of the fence. I guess I mention this only to point out that because you like drinking a water does not mean it is right for a particular style. It may be that you are making hoppy, IPA style beers and this water is good but keep the needs of your beer in mind when brewing.

I love that description of the magnetic field ... I may print that and add it to my wall of "doublespeak" examples.

Latest posts

Back